Return

Abigail walked with a quick pace towards the parlor. The whole family was in there, and while that should be incentive enough, she was desperate to escape the endless questioning about the wedding. 

Luck seemed to be on her side as she was close enough to hear the laughter coming from the drawing room. But alas, just as she was about to turn the corner, she was affronted by the housekeeper. 

"Ah good, Miss. I need to ask you a couple of things just for a moment—"

"Might it wait? I'm meant to join everyone for the celebration." Abigail desperately attempted to cut her off as she skirted around her. 

Almost to the parlor, almost there. 

"Very quickly, Miss." Mrs. Wilson just followed her, unaffected by her quickened pace. "Would you prefer your cake soaked in rum or brandy?" 

"Brandy, I think." She was crossing the entrance of the doorway now

Everyone's attention turned toward them, it seemed Daphne and Simon had just arrived. 

"And would it be bacon or ham with eggs for the ceremony?" 

She was going to explode, and it was going to be now. Something on her face or in her posture must have said it because suddenly Anthony's voice came from across the room. 

"Ham, I believe. Right, darling?" 

He strode over to her and wrapped his arms around her shoulder, while hers automatically found his middle. 

"Yes, ham. Lovely." She forced a smile. 

Mrs. Wilson simply smiled and gave a slight bow before she left, seemingly unaware of the tension radiating off of the soon to be Viscountess. 

She turned and visibly relaxed in Anthony's arms, he just chuckled and kissed the top of her head. While, technically it was considered improper for couples to show affection in the presence of others, this was their family and they certainly weren't going to stop for them.

Although, in hindsight, maybe they should have because as soon as they embraced, a rounding chorus of "Ooooo"'s came from the adjacent Bridgertons. 

"Alright." Anthony sighed and regrettably pulled from her, but only so much that they were now holding hands. 

"So I am to receive another sister as well. I didn't think Anthony could find anyone mad enough to wed him." The comment came from Francesca, who stood from her position on the piano bench. 

"Francesca, good to see you." Abigail said with a chuckle and reached in for a hug. 

"Well, before the interruption, Fran was about to show us some of the pianoforte she had learned." Colin had a teasing tone in his voice. 

"Oh yes, I'm sorry please continue." Insisted Abigail, decidedly in a more pleasant headspace. 

"Well, here's where we're at an impasse, for I only said I would do it if Colin accompanied me." 

"Oh you might regret that suggestion, sister." 

"Why?" Abigail interjected. "Afraid, Colin?" 

"Oh, I see what you did there. Alright, I'll sing." He took the bait. 

He began to sing, surprisingly on key, and everyone clapped along as Francesca played the piano keys beautifully. Looking around, Abigail searched her memory for a time when she had ever felt this content. She supposed there must have been a time, but she honestly couldn't remember one.

(That's it guys, I'm publishing the ending TODAY. Three chapters coming at you!! 1/3)