Confrontation

Abigail sat in a row to herself as the Bridgerton family around her conversed with either each other, or the guests on Simon's side of the church. Violet turned from the row in front of her and reached for her hand. 

Giving it a light squeeze she said, "Just think dear, it might be you walking down this aisle next." 

Abigail smiled and squeezed back, while trying to ignore the squirm in her stomach, or the flutter in her heart when she thought of the man who had proposed mere days before. 

"Someday." she replied. "But today, I'm beyond happy for Daphne." 

It looked as if Violet would have said something else, but the string quartet began to play, signaling Daphne's arrival. Every member in the pews stood and turned to see her walking down the aisle beside her brother. 

She looked angelic, and Abigail watched as Daphne grew nearer the Duke and their eyes didn't separate from each other. That must be nice, to have someone with whom to share a connection, a bond. 

Once she reached the altar, Anthony smiled and let her go. The next thing Abigail knew, Anthony was sitting next to her. 

"Dearly beloved..." the bishop started. 

Abigail tried to ignore his presence. She was mad at him, and she wouldn't be swayed by his proximity, or his irritatingly intoxicating scent. 

"We are gathered here today..."

All strength left her body when she felt a hand, his hand, reach for hers. Their fingers interlocked and she took a deep breath. This wasn't good. His mere touch made her want to throw out all feelings of anger. Something told her he knew this. 

"It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty, but more of safety than the single life." 

She spared a glance toward him. Her eyes flitted rightward and she knew he noticed. He smiled slightly and gave her hand a squeeze, causing another flutter to happen in her heart. 

"I now pronounce you man and wife."

With these words, her fingers relaxed within his grip. There was something strangely comforting about those words. Those words, and his presence. The combination felt so... safe. 

———

"So happy for you. Thank you for inviting us." Abigail heard as she approached Daphne with a glass of water. 

Those who were congratulating her left, and Abby sidled next to her. 

"Here." She said, and held out the glass. 

"What, no wine left?" Daphne questioned. 

She took the glass and basically downed the liquid in one gulp. 

"Daph, the last thing you need right now is alcohol." Abigail countered. 

"Fair enough." Daphne said nervously, and glanced over to where the Duke was. 

"Have you talked to him yet?" Abby asked.

"No." She sighed. "Have you talked to my brother yet?" 

"No." Abby replied. 

"Abigail—" Daphne began. 

"No." She cut off. "The minute we start talking, it will turn into a large screaming match, and I just cannot do that right now. And certainly not here." 

"Again, fair enough." Daphne said. "Do you—"

But she didn't get to finish her thought as Cressida had approached the two.