Betrothal

Abigail gently twisted the knob on the door to Eloise's bedroom. She knew Violet was helping her get ready, and the last thing Abby wanted to do was intrude. Yet still, she felt the need to talk to her soon to be sister-in-law before they left for the concert. Call it what you want, but she had a strange sense about Eloise's intentions this evening. She wasn't about to accuse Eloise of anything nefarious, and yet she felt a an unexplainable suspicion, and simply had to sway it before they all left. 

"...we need not hasten your coming out before you feel prepared." She heard Violet finish her sentence as she carefully stepped into the room.

There was a moment's pause in which Eloise simply stared back at her mother. 

Finally, she said, "The Queen will be in attendance at tonight's concert will she not?" 

"I believe she will." 

"Then I am looking forward to it. An exciting time, indeed, mama."

This was as good a moment as any to intrude. 

"Sorry to interrupt." Abigail piped up, softly, from her place by the door. "I just wondered if I could borrow some lip brewed off of you, Eloise."

"Of course." She seemed to regain her senses as she removed herself from her spot in front of the mirror, and headed toward her vanity.

"I'll leave you to it, I have to check and make sure Anthony and Benedict are ready." Violet took her leave. 

Abigail's eyes followed her as she left the room, and listened for the click of the door behind her. 

"Here you are." Eloise pulled her attention back, and held out a tin of rosy paste toward her. 

"What are you up to, Eloise?" Abigail didn't even bother to explain herself as she took the tin and got straight to the question.

Shocked, Eloise sputtered and it took several moments before she responded. 

"What?" 

"Oh please, I know you would rather go to the stake than attend a high society affair. And now, you're suddenly so interested in The Queen's attendance..." She trailed off, leaving her question apparent.

"I believe," Eloise began. "You are the only one who's ever taken the time to notice my true opinions." 

"Normally, I'd take that as a compliment, but something's telling me that you wanted to go unnoticed tonight." 

"Alright. But if I tell you... promise not to say a word to mama." 

"I promise."

"Or Anthony."

She hesitated. 

"Ha! I knew you couldn't." 

"I didn't say that! I'm rather good with secrets thank you, it's just... we're not even married yet and I'm choosing his sister's side over his." She said that last part more to herself than anyone else. 

"Swear. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you cannot know." 

"Alright, I swear."