18

Percy POV-

"Bye mom! I'll see you later!" I called, leaving the house to go to Jason's party. I was excited to go, but hoping that neither Leo or Hazel would mention anything about Annabeth. I could count on Hazel, but Leo... we'll see.

"Percy! You came! I thought you'd be too busy hanging out with your girlfriend!" Leo called as I entered the door with my gift for Jason and cookies my mom made.

"Girlfriend?" Frank asked.

"Wait? So is it true? I saw it on the news, but are you and Annabeth really-"

I cut Piper off. "No, we're just friends."

"Mhm, sure," Leo said sarcastically.

"Leo, shut up or else I won't give you cookies. Now when's Jason coming?"

"Hazel's bringing him here now. She wanted to practice her driving."

"She left twenty minutes ago. Jason's house is five minutes away. She should be here by now," Piper said, "You should've let me drive."

"But Hazel's excuse was that she wanted to practice her driving. She may have passed the test but she drives a little bit slower than most teens do. Jason was eager to help," Frank said.

"A little bit slower? I think the snails have enough time to cross the road without being run over when she's ten feet away," Leo said.

"She does fine!" Frank defended. I looked out of the window, just in time to see Jason and Hazel walking up to the sidewalk.

"Guys, they're coming," I said. The room went quiet and everyone tucked themselves around corners and under tables. Frank laid down in the middle of the room, not sure where to hide. We all laughed at him, breaking the silence in the room. We tried to hold in the laughter as the door slowly swung open.

"Hazel, why are we here anyways?" Jason asked, clearly confused as to why they were making a stop when they were supposed to be practicing her driving skills.

"I told you. I forgot something here when I came a few days ago. I made some money by cleaning up after a party. I figured we could stop and I could grab it."

"Okay, as long as- Frank?! What the hell are you doing?!" He exclaimed. "I meant heck. Hazel, please excuse my language." She shrugged. I saw Frank jump up as my friends all jumped out of their spots, I did too.

"Surprise!" Leo yelled, nice and loud as he jumped right behind Jason. Hopefully, he got Jason hearing aids for his birthday. I got him a brick and a Superman poster. He would be thrilled.

"Leo!" Piper scolded. "Do not yell in Jason's ear so loudly!"

Leo shrugged and headed over to the dessert table to eat the blue cookies I brought.

"Wait, why are we having a surprise party?" Jason asked.

"For your birthday, Sparky," Piper answered, reaching out and holding Jason's hand. "Happy Birthday."

"I'm not complaining or anything, but my birthday's not for three months."

"But this is more of a surprise!" Frank exclaimed. "Besides, it's been a while since we had an excuse to buy cake!"

"He has a good point," I agreed. "The last time was Hazel's birthday. But she just had to have Red Velvet."

"It's sooooo good," She argued.

"But it's not blue!"

"This cake isn't either, it's vanilla," Piper pointed out.

"But it's so much easier to dye blue. You can't turn red into blue unless you use the whole thing of food coloring. Even then it's still purple-y."