Chapter 2

AUSTIN

I walked through my front door and quickly ran to my bedroom. I shut the door behind me and collapsed onto my bed. What on earth did I just do? I mean, I’ve liked her for a while now. I mean more than friends. But it was wrong! I couldn’t like my best friend. Could I? No. What if something were to happen? What if we got in a fight and broke up? Would that be the end of our friendship? I couldn’t have that. I just couldn’t lose her. She’s too important and it was too much of a risk.

But I wanted her so much more than just a friend. She was, in a word, perfect. She was beautiful, intelligent, hilarious, and we always had fun together. She wasn’t afraid to be herself. She was crazy. She drove me crazy. The thought of us together made me smile. The thought of being able to hold her hand, cuddle with her, hold her, kiss her. It drove me wild just thinking about it. I wanted it so badly. What harm could a little more do? Its not like we’d be doing anything different. Other than kissing and holding hands and all that. And we did get married when we were 5. So its not like we haven’t held hands before. Then again, things were different now; I liked her. When we were little I thought she was cute. The first day of kindergarten I saw her walk through the door clinging to her mom. I knew then that she was going to be my best friend. I was mature for my age. Not really. I just thought differently.

The look on her face after I kissed her though looked like she was in shock. Almost as if she didn’t like it. I did catch her off guard. I didn’t even plan on kissing her. I don’t know what came over me in that moment, but it was like my brain left my body and my lips took over. That’s a weird way to describe it. I groaned and sat up, looking around my room. I decided to go take a shower to calm down but right as I was getting up I heard my phone vibrate. It said that I had a new text message. It was from Alexis. Now don’t judge me or anything but I got excited when I saw it. I don’t know why. Oh yeah that’s right. Because I like her. Duh.

Alexis: hey

Austin: hey whats up?  I responded, not knowing whether or not to bring up the kiss. I decided against it since I figured it would be better to do it in person.

Alexis: hanging out with Becky and my mom. What about you?

Austin: oh im sorry. I was just about to take a shower but you texted me.

Alexis:oh sorry. Go take your shower

Austin: no its fine haha

Alexis: um okay.

This was one weird and awkward conversation. Why couldn’t we talk like we normally do? I made things awkward that’s why. I knew it was a bad idea.

Austin: so hows the dinner going?

Alexis: ugh don’t get me started. Shes bragging that she was engaged but then was at a party and hooked up with some guy and the next day she dumped her fiancée and has been seeing this guy ever since.

Austin: wow…

Alexis: tell me about it! Please save me!

Austin: how? Haha

Alexis: say you need help with homework.

Austin: its summer Alexis

Alexis: crap! Um I don’t know! Just save me. Please!

Austin: no can do. Gotta take a shower.

Alexis: austin!

 I chuckled as I tossed my phone on the bed and went to the shower.