Chapter 25

“She has kidney disease.”

“What? Is that the worst of it?”

“I’m afraid not.” The next thing he said caused my heart to beat faster and the room was spinning. It was actually happening. My world actually came crashing down. Everything he said after that was a muffled sound. And everything that happened after that was a blur.

I sat down in my chair and tried to process what he said. The words kept replaying in my head over and over again.

“She’s in a coma.” He said. “She hit her head extremely hard when she fell.”

“Will she wake up?”

“She should within the next week or so. It wasn’t that serious.”

I didn’t say anything so he kept talking. I sat down, obviously, I said that earlier.

“Austin I’m back.” I looked up and sat my mom standing by me holding my guitar.

“Thanks mom.” I said taking the guitar.

“I also brought your song notebook, a pen and a change of clothes.” She set the items down on the chair next to me.

“Thanks.”

“So has the doctor said anything?” she sat in the chair on the other side of me.

“Yeah.” I nodded. I said it in such a whisper that only she could hear.

“What did he say?” she asked. That was all it took for me to break down into tears. “Austin, sweetie what's the matter?”

“He said she has kidney disease. One kidney failed and the one she has left probably won’t last that long. And she is in a coma. But he said that would only last a couple of weeks.” I said between sobs.

“Ooh Austin.” She put her arm around me and after setting down my guitar I wrapped my arms around her and continued crying.

“Mom’ my voice cracked. “What am I going to do? I can’t live without her.”

“I know. You know what's going to help in a time like this?”

“What?” I asked looking up at her.

“Praying.” She said. I nodded my head and said I would pray as much as possible. I hoped it would work.

-Next day-

I ended up falling asleep for about two hours. It didn’t help much but I didn’t care. I wanted to be awake as soon as she woke up.

It still hadn’t fully sunk in that she didn’t have much longer. I thought about what life would be like without her. No more memories. I would only have the ones from the past.

-- Flashback (age 15)—

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I groaned and went to silence it but I saw Alexis’ name on the screen.

“Hey babe.”

“Hey” she said quietly.

“Alexis what's wrong? Are you okay?”

“No.”

“What’s the matter?”

It’s been three years as of today.” she said.

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s been three years since we found out about my dad.” I could tell she was crying by the way her voice kept cracking.

“Alexis I’m so sorry.”

“Thanks.”

“Are you alone?”