chapter five

-----1 year later----

ALEXIS

I took a deep breath before walking out onto the stage. It was the night of the school talent show and I was insanely nervous. I have never sung in front of people. I only sang when I was in my room. But I was my junior year of high school and I figured it was now or never. I may as well get over my fear of audiences now. Better sooner than later.

I walked out on to the stage and gasped. When I was on stage I looked out and saw that the auditorium was packed with people. It was too late to back out now. I heard the music start to play and took in a breath.

“Let’s dance in style.

Let’s dance for a while.

Heaven can wait we’re only watching the skies.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Are you gonna drop the bomb or not.

Let us die young or let us live forever.

We don’t have the power but we never say never.

Sitting in a sand pit.

Life is a short trip.

The music’s for the sad men.

Forever young

I wanna be forever young

Do you really want to live forever?

Forever young

I wanna be forever young.

Do you really want to live forever?

Some are like water

Some are like the heat

Some are a melody

Some are a beat.”

I continued the song until the very end. Obviously. I’d look like an idiot if I stopped before the song was over. When I finished, I  took a breath and put the microphone back on the stand. The audience broke out into applause which was a relief. I thought I was going to suck and get booed off the stage. I don’t hav a lot of self confidence as you can probably tell.

 I smiled and bowed before walking off stage. As I wished the next person good luck I made my way over to the crowd so I could sit down. I was almost to an empty seat when I was suddenly stopped by a man that I didn’t recognize.

“Hello. I’m with Chase/Universal Republic and I wanted to congratulate you and tell you what a fantastic job you did.” He smiled. Well that was nice to hear. Chase/Universal Republic. That sounds familiar. I think it’s the name of a record company.

“Oh thank you. I appreciate it.”

“I talked about it to my fellow employees that I am here with and we were wondering if you would like to make a meeting to come and sing another song for us. We’re part of a record label.” He smiled. So I was right. It was a record company. And they wanted me to come sing for them? That was something that I never expected. I didn’t think I was that talented.

“Wow. That’s surprising. I would love to. When would I come?” I asked. Excitement flowed through my body as I waited for his reply.

“Is tomorrow too soon?” he asked.

“No tomorrow is great.” I beamed. Again, the sooner the better.

“Wonderful. I will see you tomorrow then.”

“Yes you will. Thank you so much.” I shook his hand before walking to my mom.

“What was that about? Who was that man you were talking to just now?” she asked as I took my seat next to her in the audience.