"Prettiest Star"

Early May, 1977

"And there's your Gryffindor captain, Seeker James Potter!"

Lyra-Jade clapped along but would not whoop and holler like the boys on either side of her were doing, along with the rest of the rowdy Gryffindor crowd.

It was hot. Too bloody hot to be cramped between two sweaty, jumping boys. Too bloody hot to even be outside. Her silk blouse clung to her like a second skin and her stockings made her legs itch. In that moment, she wished that she had normal clothes, but all she owned was wool jumpers and plaid skirts and silk and lace blouses.

On her left, Sirius was watching the game begin with a certain concentration that looked ever so foreign on his angular face, a concentration that he only reserved for Quidditch. Behind the concentration was a longing; he should've been out there, with his bat, right next to James. But, one too many detentions made that no longer possible. He was fully decked out in maroon and gold gear, and even convinced Lyra-Jade to paint one half of his face red and the other gold. Frankly, he looked ridiculous. Beside Sirius, stood Remus, who looked just as bored as Lyra- Jade felt, not that she was looking at him. On her right was Peter, who was so enthusiastic and excited that she thought he was going to piss himself.

"Don't piss yourself, Wormy."

He didn't even seem to hear her, as he was busy digging his binoculars out of his pocket.

Lyra-Jade didn't hate Quidditch. In fact, one of her favorite feelings in the entire word was the wind in her hair, one of her favorite places being hundreds of feet above the ground. She grew up sneaking out with her brothers with brooms and playing kiddy games. She was fast on a broom. Really fast. Ever since she was small, she yearned to one day be a real Quidditch player, along with her brothers. And during her second year, when she sent home the permission form to try out as a Chaser for the Slytherin team, she didn't receive back her Mother's elegant signature, but a howler, telling her how unladylike sports games were, how dare she ask to join the team. Her brothers got their letters back, with a pretty Walburga Black etched on the bottom.

So, she stuck to choir, which was deemed acceptable and ladylike by her Mother.

Watching the games only left her angry and bitter, so she avoided them, even with her brothers playing. The last one thats she attended had been Regulus' first games as Seeker, two years before.

So, she adverted her eyes from the field the rest of the game, instead keeping her focus on the boys beside her. She found great joy in watching Sirius' reactions to the game; his shouts, his grins, his furrowed brows. Peter's reactions were extremely amusing; his jumps, his yelps, his screams of "go, James, go!".

"He's seen it," Sirius breathed after an hour of the game, "He's bloody seen it!"

Lyra-Jade's eyes finally found the pitch, searching for James. A blur of red flew past her at lightning speed, making her hair fly into Peter's face. The blur was James.

"Get it, Prongs!" Sirius was yelling.

"Go, James," Peter also yelled, spitting Lyra-Jade's hair out of his mouth, "GO!"

They all watched with wide eyes as James, the Hufflepuff Seeker inches behind him, reached out his hand, then-

"Potter has caught the Snitch! Gryffindor wins! Gryffindor wins the cup!" 

She couldn't help but to join in with the others as they roared.

***

The party was in full swing.