"...Even Children get Older"

October 1978

She strolled down streets of Diagon Alley with no rush, enjoying the light Fall breeze. She was instructed to waste time while Mia and Lily sought out decorations for the party,

Another fucking party. Just what she needed. First there was James and Lily's engagement party at the manor, then another engagement party at Lily's Mum's house (where she met Lily's sister and her husband and probably would have been sent to Azkaban if it wasn't for Remus and Sirius holding her back). Then, James' birthday party. Then Mia and Monty's fortieth anniversary party. And now, her baby shower.

She didn't like people. She didn't like people she didn't know giving her judgmental looks and asking too many questions. Luckily, at this party, her party, only people she liked were going to be in attendance.

She stopped by Florean Fortescue's ice cream parlor and picked out a large vanilla cone. Resuming her stroll, her step a little lighter thanks to the sweet treat, she quietly hummed under her breath.

"Lyra-Jade?" She heard a high pitched voice call out, causing her head to quickly turn to her left.

"Cissy?"

Narcissa Black, well Malfoy, stood at the entrance to Madame Malkin's with wide, blue eyes. She wore black, expensive looking robes with lace and frills, her bleach blonde hair swept back into a tight pony tail. She looked Lyra-Jade up and down with a gasp.

"Holy Hecate, LJ, are you pregnant?!"

She looked down at her self. This baby, who everyone was calling le petit at the moment, was quite a big one. At five months in, you could definitely tell that she was pregnant. Maybe it was because she was such a small person that her stomach looked comically large compared to the rest of her features.

"Oh, no, actually. Just not starving myself anymore."

"Oh..."

She snorted. "Just joking, 'course I'm pregnant."

Narcissa moved closer with hesitance to where her younger cousin stood, licking her ice cream. "But-But you're only eighteen! You're not married!"

"Well I didn't do it on purpose, did I?"

"Please don't tell me that Gryffindor is the father."

"Dunno who the dad is actually. Some random muggle man I shagged a bit ago. I think he was a Zeppelin groupie."

Narcissa put a hand to her heart. "Oh Salzar, LJ, what has happened to you?"

"You are so gullible, Cissy. Always have been. Remember when Andy and Sirius convinced you that there was a species of pixies that only cool people could see and you cried for hours because you couldn't see them?" She chuckled dryly and took another lick, ""Course Remus is the father."

"But he's-"

"A halfblood? Yup. Gosh Golly, what will my Mother say?"

Her older cousin just stared at her for a moment before clearing her throat. "You didn't come to my wedding."

"Was my Mother and Father there?"

"Well, yes-"

"Then I'm glad I didn't. Got to get going now, Cissy, was nice chatting with you." She turned to go, but Narcisaa reached out and grabbed her arm.

"Andromeda. How is she?"

"Alright."

"And you, are you happy, little Lyra?" She asked, her voice low.