15. Embarassment

Tuesday 3.01pm

Walking towards me with the fondest smile, he reassures me that she's gonna be okay.

"Mina. Are you okay? You look sad."

"I'm fine!" I force myself to smile while standing up and suddenly realise how tall he is.

"I should probably start from the start." He puts his hand forward so I can shake it, while smiling. "Hi. I'm Seven."

"Seven? Like the number?" I shake his hand.

"Haha! Yeah." He rubs the back of his head shyly, his other hand in his pocket, laughing, and all I see is his super white teeth and eye smile. So fresh.

"I'm confused, I thought it was Seo... Seo..."

"Seojoon? That's my Korean name. My grandma calls me that and family when I go to Korea. But here I'm Seven. Well they call me Dr. Park at the hospital but you can call me Seven. You're my gran's favourite person... after me! Haha!"

"Well, nice to meet you Seven."

He's a very handsome man and seems very sweet.

"How is she?"

"She has a small concussion but the MRI showed no bleeding or swelling... and... she broke her hip."

"Damn!"

"She has been taken to a room until they manage to squeeze her in for surgery."

"Can I see her?"

"Do... you... want to grab a coffee before you go see her?"

I am taken aback. It doesn't mean anything right? I still find it difficult to swallow as I look at his slightly awkward behaviour. He chuckles and seems unsure where to look but smiles biting the corner of his mouth nervously.

"I..."

"It's just coffee." Oh yeah? Then why do you look so uneasy? Nonetheless, I'm intreagued.

"Okay."

He shows me the way to the coffee shop and we walk in silence as he greets every intern and nurse we meet on the way.

"What's your poison?"

"I'll just go for an americano."

"Two americanos please."

We find a table and sit in front of each other in the busy area. Why do I feel so anxious? I just rescued his gran and he wants to say thank you by buying me coffee. I really don't know why I'm so nervous. Maybe it's because he's more and more attractive the more I look at his face.

He's very handsome but I don't know why I see candour and brightness when I see his smile. I feel my shoulders being less heavy and tense.

"I wanted to thank you."

"Don't mention it."

"You came to her rescue."

"I still feel guilty not to have found her earlier."

"You were still early. You weren't supposed to be there until 2pm." I'm surprised he know my schedule... oh yeah, her schedule. Still.

"How do you know?"

"I visited her yesterday. She told me." He says before taking a sip and placing his cup in front of him, staring at it seriously. "I try to visit her when you're not, so she sees someone every day." That's really thoughtful.

"I'm sorry but I didn't realise she had family close until that day we first met."

"I just came back to California. I did my residency in Chicago and stayed there for a while. I'm free now, so I just want to live closer to her."