TWENTY FIVE

Word Count: 1637

~Amolet

I've decided that I don't think I like Sinful.

After the hot springs, Sinful transported us all back to his estate for the night. The moment my feet touched the ground, I was dressed in appropriate clothing again, and right before I could say anything to Sinful, he wished us a good night, and vanished into thin air.

Now, I sit at the edge of a guest bed that I'm confident I will not be getting much sleep in tonight, not with Sinful lurking about. Cian stands in the doorway, the backlight from the hallway casting deep shadows across his masterful cheekbones and graceful jawline. I'm not sure I will ever get sick of looking at him. Immortal beauty cannot be compared to anything in the mortal realm.

"How are you feeling?" he asks gently, hands gliding into his pockets.

I stare down at my fingers knotted together on my lap, wishing I could chase away all the thoughts that will haunt me once the lights turn off. "My mind won't quiet down."

"I get that too sometimes," he sighs, the golden roots of his hair glistening magically under the lights, whereas the dark ends hand down upon his forehead. "What are you thinking about?"

"Lev. I feel guilty for dragging him into this," I admit, thinking of my best friend who is sound asleep next door. He has always been able to handle changing situations better than I have. But that doesn't mean I feel good about bringing him into this. Just by being his friend I have put him in danger of becoming a victim to Noah and Stace's revenge.

"I dragged you all into this." Cian pushes up off the doorframe, nearly unable to fit under it without bowing his head, approaching where I sit on the bed. All my senses alight at his proximity, at the scent of him that wraps around me. "I should never have spoken to you that day in my cell."

"Why did you? All the staff tried and had no luck."

Cian sits next to me, close enough that if I were to lean an inch closer, I would feel his breath mingling with mine. "I could sense that most only wanted to speak to me out of curiosity. You clearly pitied me, and wanted to make sure I was okay. I can't remember the last time someone cared about me."

I think about that...Not having come from a true family. The one's he is related to are only attached by a magical bond, but similar aspects about them. It's clear Cian doesn't want to fall into the habits of what may be attributed to a Sin, at least not since he lost his mate, so can he even relate to any of his so-called siblings anymore?

"I can't imagine how hard it would be to be a pureblood," I murmur.

"You'd think I would have everything, being Greed." He shrugs, smiling softly, but his eyes are humourless, etched in pain and misery from a lifetime of loneliness. When he finally found his mate, the one who should be expected to spend the rest of his life with, she chose another man. And now she is dead, and he is forced to shoulder that grief as well.

I capture his dark gaze with my own. "You have me."

"Why are you so kind to me?" he asks softly, all the exterior layers of his facade fall apart right before my eyes.

My words stop at my lips, unsure if I want to speak and break this moment. He's looking at me so intently I could melt under the heat of his gaze. Is he going to kiss me? All it would take would be for me to lean forward and our lips would be connected. Cian seems to be having the same thoughts, but before I can commit to anything, words are coming out of my mouth, breaking the spell.

"I'm not sure," I breathe, frightened that if I did kiss him, I wouldn't be able to take that back, and it would be between us forever. "I feel connected to you, like I'm meant to be here, that I'm meant to help you."