THIRTY

Word Count: 1692

~Amolet

I'm not sure what I expected, but this isn't it.

For a moment I'm so surprised, so taken aback I'm convinced Cian has taken me to the wrong place. We are on the edge of another mountain, however this one is capped with snow, and isn't surrounded by a wonderful view of distant villages dotted with sparkling lights. Instead, right below the rocky outcrop we stand on, is a massive ravine, gorged into the mountain leading all the way out to the horizon.

Grabbing a hold of Cian's arm tightly, I push away from the edge of the cliff, wary of the slipping rocks that scatter down into the jagged bottom of the ravine.

"I haven't seen my brother in many years, but it's not easy to predict how he is going to react," Cian exclaims as I awkwardly let go of him. He gestures for me to follow him into the mouth of what appears to be a man made cave. Cloudy lanterns are etched into the walls, lighting the stony path we walk down. I hate to know what entices someone, especially an immortal to choose here to live.

"Where is Lev?"

Cian runs his hand back through his hair, his golden roots glistening as the only brightness in this entire place. "I left him at my place. Figured with Hale being so unpredictable, it would be easier to protect only one of you."

I sihver. "Comforting."

I'm not sure if I will be able to call on my magical ability again any time soon, so I'm more wary than ever to be stepping into this strange, dungeon like place with another powerful immortal. Sinful seemed to think Hale would like me, but I don't feel any comfort in his words. If this place reflects this man I am soon to see, then I'm convinced this entire encounter is going to go poorly.

"You know I would kill him if he even suggested anything..." Cian says lowly, meeting my gaze. My apprehension must be written all over my face, as Cian appears to be ready to take me away from here with just a single world.

"It's okay Cian," I assure him, knowing we need to do this, that we need to have as many people on our side as possible if we want to take down Noah and Stace. "This place is creepy."

The more we walk, the denser the air feels, smelling stale and earthy. The tunnels into the mountain weave in all sorts of directions, but continue to lead us toward one place, where Hale is going to be. I can feel it. He has done a great job of hiding himself away where no one can find him if that is his intention.

"I'm not sure why he chose this place," Cian mutters. "Something to do with him being Sloth."

"What does that even mean?" I question warily. Cian hasn't shown me much of his driving force, being Greed, nor am I scared to see it. But then Sinful has Lust drenching him, it makes up his very being...So I have no idea what to expect with Hale.

"He doesn't really feel much. He tires of people quickly, becomes bored and sardonic. After too long he's near insufferable." Cian already doesn't sound like Hale is one of his preferred brothers, but at this point, I'm convinced none of them like each other.

"Is there anything he likes?"

"Mortal women." I don't miss the edge to Cian's voice as he says that, nor the slight bow of his head as we walk, like he's internally conflicted on whether to bring me in any further or not. "He likes how reckless they are, how untamed and vibrant. It makes him feel something, for once."

"He doesn't sound very nice," I mutter. Once again, I hate that I am mortal amongst all these immortals. Cian looks at me as though I'm fragile, about to implode with the slightest resistance, whereas his brothers look at me like I'm an amusing toy they can laugh at and make fun of.