TWENTY EIGHT

Word Count: 1611

¬Amolet

I'm putting off getting out of bed this morning.

I'm sure I've slept less than an hour, tossing and turning thinking about Cian and Lev. Eventually I decide I can't just lay in bed for the rest of the day, and that I need to eventually face the world, even if I don't want to.

Muttering to myself, I drag myself from bed and numbly pull clothing over my limbs, hoping Cian will tell me we can just return back to where he will let me sleep all day. I'm sure if I asked him he would allow me to, but I don't have the heart to ruin this mission anymore than I likely am. Cian is just being nice, keeping me safe, I don't want to push my luck...

Or maybe I'm telling myself that as an excuse to avoid facing the fact that he is my mate.

I meet Cian and Lev outside of their rooms, waiting to hear what has been planned next. It's very evident from the way Cian examines my face that he can tell I've hardly slept, but he doesn't say anything, sensing Sinful is around and will use any show of weakness as a chance to take advantage of us. Lev doesn't say anything, although sticks close to me, still wary of the Immortal.

"Good morning," we hear as we walk down stairs. Sure enough, Sinful is waiting in the foyer with his hands clasped together, a knowing smile on his face. I refuse to look at him, to see his smugness. "Anything transpire overnight that I should know about?"

"No," Cian replies warily. He probably thinks Sinful is referencing the fact that we left last night to a nearby town in his territory, when I know he is trying to figure out whether I told Cian we are mates. "We are leaving to go speak to Hale today, try to convince him to join us."

"Hmm, interesting," Sinful muses, his smile only growing. "You know Hale is going to love Amolet."

Cian shifts from foot to foot. "He won't touch her."

"You know how much he loves innocent mortals who know nothing about immortals," Sinful continues. I withhold my desire to roll my eyes. I'm not sure how Cian has the patience to handle Sinful and his probing comments. He wants a reaction out of his brother, and will be willing to say anything to get it. I doubt he cares what happens between Hale and I.

I glance at Cian, his jaw is clenched tightly, eyes dark. "I don't care."

"Are you sure, brother?" Sinful asks, taking a step forward. Lev is fidgeting uncomfortably beside me, not liking the conflict between the two immortals. I watch them both carefully, ready to make a run for it if Sinful says anything more to irritate Cian.

At least Cian seems composed, hands tucked behind his back, examining Sinful calmly. The storm of anger rolling under his skin seems contained, but it flourishes wild in his eyes.

"Sinful...Quiet," I snap.

Sinful lavender gaze shifts to mine, a dark brow quirking at my remark. "Amolet is strong, clearly, but is she strong enough to handle Hale's charms?"

I narrow my eyes on him, hating that he thinks I'm so lowly and pathetic in comparison to all these Sin's, that I'm incapable of holding my own. This is how all immortals think about mortals - Cian probably thinks about that too, he just doesn't want to say it.

Staring Sinful down, I imagine I can just walk right up to him with no consequences, no chance he will use his magic on me, and wrap my hands around his neck. And then I would squeeze, until he couldn't speak anymore, that would surely wipe the smile on his face that he uses as another weapon against us.

My vision seems to be so real, that the smile does vanish from Sinful's face, and he startles, hands reaching up to his neck. He starts to couch, clutching his neck like my hand really is wrapped around it, strangling him.