Chapter 55

Leon was still hugging Viola behind the door of their room. And it did not feel like he would let her go anytime soon.

Viola patted his back. "Are you alright?" She finally asked.

"Shouldn't that be my line?" Leon returned the question. His arms were still wrapped around her.

"It's only tea... and it was half finished anyway so..."

Leon sighed. He loosened his arms and led her to their sitting space. He sat beside her and wiped her hair with the towel.

"I can do it myself." She snatched the towel from him and dried her slightly damp hair.

Leon put his hand on her head and stroked her hair. "Sorry."

Viola turned to Leon. Her hands stopped. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I want to apologize on behalf of Sarah. She can be unreasonable and selfish sometimes, but she... isn't really a bad person. Can you..." Leon stopped abruptly as he caught Viola staring at him with troubled expression.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

Seeing him genuinely confused, Viola shook her head and feigned a quick smile. "Nothing. I am going to clean myself." She got up and walked hurriedly towards the bathroom. Leon watched her back with a lot of questions in his head.

Viola closed her eyes and let the water from the shower hit her head. She needed to clear her mind. What was that just now? Why do I have this weird feeling? Is it because he suddenly apologized to me? Viola needed to sort her feelings before she went out.

After a full hour spent inside, Viola emerged from the bathroom. The sofa was empty. Had Leon left? She tiptoed to the entrance.

"You are done?" A voice came from behind her. Viola was startled. She turned her back and saw Leon sitting on his desk working.

"Ah... you are still here..." Viola let out a nervous laugh.

His phone on the desk rang suddenly. He looked at the screen and frowned. Reluctantly, he moved his finger across the screen to receive the call.

"What is it?" Leon began the conversation as if he wanted to end it quickly.

Viola quietly walked to the bedroom to avoid disturbing his conversation.

"She is here, Dad." Leon continued.

Viola stopped and turned to Leon. He looked bored – his fingers spun the ballpoint playfully.

"I'll talk to her. We'll find the right time." He eyed Viola. Their eyes met. Viola threw him a questioning look. He returned it with a smile on his face.

"Right. We'll see you later." Leon ended the call and sighed.

Viola approached him. "Is that your father?"

Leon nodded. "Sarah went to see him. He hoped you don't take what she said to the heart."

Again. Viola felt uncomfortable. She did not know what she should say in response. "It's almost lunch time. Do you want me to bring you lunch?" She tried to change the subject. "Or are you going back to the office?"

"No." Leon got up from his seat and tidied up the paper on his desk. "I brought my work home." He took out his phone again and called his assistant. He raised his hand to ask Viola to wait for him. "Tom, I am leaving the folder on my desk. Please come get it and bring it to the planners." The assistant replied in affirmation and a few minutes later, both hung up the call.

Viola was sitting on the sofa – absentmindedly flipping one of the books she took from the bookcase. Her mind was still filled with what happened in the morning.

"Viola." Leon called.

Viola closed the book and tilted her head backward, leaning against the back pillows of the sofa. "What?"

Leon stood behind where she sat and laughed. "You will hurt your neck like this." He gently turned her head back – facing the front and went around to sit with her.

Leon drew her closer and put her head on his shoulder. "Do you have something in mind? Your head is heavy."

"It is not." Viola retorted but continued to rest her head on his shoulder. Leon chuckled.

"I need your help." Leon said.

Viola pulled her body back up and looked at him. "What is it?"

"My father wants me to buy a gift for Sarah. I don't know what to..."

"A gift?" Viola repeated. Why would Leon need to buy her a gift?? She bit her lip.

"Yeah. He wanted both of you to get along well. So, we'll get something for her and meet..."

"I don't want to." Viola muttered unconsciously.

Leon looked at her, surprised at her quick refusal. Viola too, was stunned at her own words.

"I... I mean... I don't think she wants to... see me... It will be awkward and..." Viola blabbered on, trying to undo what she just said. "It will be bad... I mean..."

Leon was silent for a while, as if lost in thought. "It's alright if you don't want to. I can go there in your place."

"Eh...?"

"I'll just grab whatever I can on the way and bring it there. She will happily accept whatever it is." Leon laughed.

Viola got up from her seat abruptly. She felt sick and took a few steps back.

"Viola?" Leon reached for her hand but she pushed it away.

"You... care so much about her...?"

"Sarah is an important friend to me so..." Leon watched her amusingly.

Important friend... Her chest hurt. Her throat tightened. Her eyes blurry. She quickly moved her gaze to the ground to hide the tears.

"Don't go..." She clenched her hand. She could not look at Leon in the eyes. "Please don't go... Leon..."

Leon did not have the heart to tease her further. He got up and walked to her. Viola did not move and Leon just stood there looking at her quietly.

Viola shook her head and hugged the man in front of her. "Please don't go." She buried her face on his chest and sobbed. Leon wanted to let the situation last longer. He enjoyed seeing her reaction but he was always weak to her crying.

He lowered his head and kissed her hair. "You smell good."

Viola did not respond.

"Hey."

She shook her head again. Her hands squeezed his shirt harder.

Leon sighed. "Alright, I give up. You can let me go now."

Viola slowly released her arms and turned her head up to see his face. Her face was wet. "What..."

Leon laughed while wiping her tears. He pinched the tip of her nose. "That's what you get if you push me to someone else again."