PostPoned Race

~Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins~ 1 Peter 4:8

Another chapter!!! ❤️😊

3rd P.O.V:
___________

"Yeah, he banged around in here like some kind of hot shot, then he went barreling down into that sweet little game like a crazy person."

The surge protector waved over to 'Sugar Rush' before walking away, writing on his clipboard as Calhoun placed her hands on her hips.

"Sugar Rush." Sighing, she rolled her head. "Cy-Bugs would chew up that game faster than a chicken hawk in a coop of crippled roosters."

Felix looked at her confused. "What was that, now?"

"What are you, thick?" Calhoun snapped, jabbing a thumb into the tunnel leading to Sugar Rush. "There was a Cy-Bugs on that shuttle!"

Felix had his eyebrows furrowed, a strained smile on his face.

Calhoun squinted her eyes at him. "Do you even know what a Cy-Bug is?"

"I can't say that I do, ma'am." Felix replied, his posture stiff.

"Cy-Bugs are like a virus." She lifts her hands and shrugs sarcastically, leaning in. "They don't know they're in a game. All they know is eat, kill, multiply."

"Without a beacon to stop them, they'll consume Sugar Rush." She points behind her at the tunnel before tilting her head. "But do you think they'll stop there?"

"Yes!" Felix confidently smiles, raising a fist to his chest.

"Wrong!" Calhoun towers over him, making Felix shrink back as he stared. "Viruses do. Not. Stop!"

She leans back and looks around the station slowly, muttering. "Once those Cy-Bugs finish off Sugar Rush, they'll invade every other game until this arcade is nothing but a smoking husk of forgotten dreams."

"Ko-hut!" She reached her hand out, glaring. "My cruiser."

He tosses the cruiser over to her as she slings over her shoulder and walks into the tunnel, Felix looking after her incredulously.

"Jeepers." He turns to Ko-hut. "Is she always this intense?"

Ko-hut shakes his head. "It's not her fault. She's programmed with the most tragic back story ever. The one day she didn't do a perimeter check..."

. . . . .

"Her wedding day."

The wedding bells echos throughout the church, a golden tint decorating the ceiling as Calhoun looks at her husband-to-be with a smile.

A Cy-Bug swooshed through the window in front of them, scaring the priest and the guests as her fiancé stood in front of Calhoun in a protective stance.

The Cy-Bug shrieks, it's head diving over his body, lifting its head back up to fully swallow him down, shrieking again when Calhoun picks up a mini-gun from her dress and shoots, screaming in anger and heartbreak.

. . . . .

Calhoun stood shock-still for a minute before shaking her head and tossing the cruiser in front her, the cruiser unfolding and hovering.

As she gets on, Felix jumps behind her. "Wait, ma'am! I'm going with you."

"Like fun you are, short stack." She called behind her, checking her gun to see if it's full before putting it back in its holster. "If you die outside you game, you don't regenerate."