Chapter 3 - Beg or Fight

*an impression of Morana ^^^*

//////

Thankfully, Morana wasn't trying anything after I came out of the shower. She even put on a loose long tank top to cover up her body.

Somehow, I didn't know if I was happy about that or not.

Later, we actually had a decent quiet brunch.

She made a few calls and used her laptop to find out where Abbatino's going, and I just sat next to her like an useless couch potato.

'Are you sure you can find him?' I ask casually while looking out of the window. It's not like I am in such a rush to find Abbatino, but Morana has been working on it the whole afternoon with no news.

The sun is now setting, splashing a shade of warm orange onto everything. I sigh in satisfaction. It's been so long since I felt the sunlight on my skin.

Even when I was on the land last time, the sky seemed to be covered in fighter aircrafts, smoke, and grey clouds all the time. And I was helping in the hospital all day, barely stepping out of it.

That period of human history was generally dark.

'Affirmative. Just give it some time. There should be something by tomorrow.' Morana's words bring me out of my memories.

I nod, gaze falling onto her profile and the small scars on her bare shoulders. 'Why are you here in the physical realm?' I ask without thinking.

I know Lucifer sometimes sends demons to the land to collect debts or answer some calling and scare the shit out of the humans. But, they're all quick jobs, the demons never stay long.

From what I've seen here, it feels like Morana has been living here for quite a while now.

And I'm a tiny bit curious.

Morana shoots me a bored look, 'Well, long story short, Lucifer kicked me out and left me be.'

I frown, feeling a little bad about bringing it up, 'I'm sorry. You must miss it down there.' I know how demons love their job.

'No need. I am doing similar work up here anyway.' She smirks devilishly, 'It's been fifty fun years.'

'Fifty? That's...' I do the math in human time, 'quite long.'

'Not long enough apparently.' She says, some emotion flashes through her clear eyes, so fast that I can't grasp.

'What do you mean?' I rest my head in my palm, studying her expression.

'Nothing.' She shifts her gaze back to her laptop, saying in a monotonous tone.

Nothing means something. I know she's definitely not telling me something, but I don't think it's proper to ask more. It seems a bit too personal.

After all, we're partners in crime, not partners in life. There's no need to get into each other's business.

'Okay.' I say, suddenly feeling an awkward air filling the space. My eyes start wandering through the decorations in the living room, looking for something else to focus on.

Eventually, a statue piques my interest.

It's the headless winged Greek Goddess of Victory, Nike.

'I like her.' I say, causing Morana to turn her head in question, 'Nike, I mean.' I walk towards the statue on the small white table next to the TV.

'Oh, you know her in person?' She asks, sounding unfazed.

'Yeah, on the battlefield. She's a great warrior, but mostly there for the good luck.' I chuckle, trailing my fingertips around the shape of the statue's wings.