15 - Breadcrumbs

"Happy birthday to you!"

"Happy birthday dear Trikka!"

"Happy birthday to you!"

A huge smile lit up Trikka's snout as she watched her friends and brother sing for her. The whole table shook with laughter despite the confused looks from many of the restaurant's other guests.

"Thank you guys. And thank you Fischer for teaching us that little cheer!" She chirped. Fischer nodded as she chuckled. He still found it a little odd that the carcans didn't have any sort of birthday cheer. He had always assumed it was a universal thing. Apparently not though.

"Heh, how do you not get annoyed by that?" Kori jested.

"Kori!" Trikka and Quin both scowled.

"No no it's alright, it honestly is annoying. Quite annoying. Buuuuut considering you guys have never experienced it before, I felt it was my duty to expose you to it. You're welcome."

Ko let out a hearty giggle. Fischer couldn't help but smile at seeing her finally laughing at something. In the eight weeks since they had met the carcans she had barely said a word. It seemed like she was starting to enjoy herself now however, something that he definitely wouldn't grow tired of.

"Well, we may not have birthday songs like that, but we still follow all the other rules," Kori stated. Reaching under the table he pulled out a small wrapped box with a ribbon tied on top. The ribbon was white with two thin blue stripes running along the sides of it. The stripes almost appeared to glow, something Fischer was slowly becoming more and more accustomed to. 

"Happy birthday sis," Kori smiled, handing the gift to his sister. 

Trikka let out a cute little gasp as she placed her hands above where Fischer assumed her heart was, right in the middle of her chest. 

"You didn't have to!" She cooed.

"Oh please, it's your birthday. Of course we did!" Quin exclaimed. 

Trikka gave them all a flattered look before turning her attention on the little box she had been given. Untying the wrapping, she opened it up to reveal a small picture frame that was coated in beautiful silver and black accents with small glowing speckles around the frame. Inside the frame lay a photograph of the five of them all huddled together by the jetty at the edge of their house with the bright lights of Amaryllis Falls lighting up the night sky behind them.

"Aww, thank you guys so much! It's beautiful!" 

Fischer felt a bright smile gleam across his face as he watched her. It felt good to finally be able to give something back to her after everything she'd done for him and Ko. 

"Ay well I'm glad you like it. A little something to say thank you for everything you've done for us," he gleamed, pulling Ko slightly closer, who intern gave her a cheerful nod. 

"You don't have to thank us for anything. These past eight weeks have been real fun for us as well. It's been a blast having you two stay with us," Quin exclaimed. 

The table was suddenly interrupted by a yellow carcan dressed in a very stylish white and blue suit. He carried a metallic dome in one hand and a small hexagonal towel in the other. 

"Pardon me ma'am, sorry to interrupt the celebration but are we ready for dessert?" The waiter placed the dome on the table then took the silver lid off to reveal a green and white cake covered in pink and yellow frosting. 

"Oooooh, thank you very much sir. I think we are indeed!" Trikka said, rubbing her hands together enthusiastically. 

The waiter gave a slight bow before heading back inside.