23 - The Lantern

The group slowly entered the chamber, a universal sense of caution surrounding the room. They walked forwards and were greeted by large circular set of stairs that ran up to a smaller platform in the middle of the room. There was what looked like a stone altar in the middle of the platform and a strange metallic object sat neatly on top of it.

The entire room gave Fischer a uncomfortable feeling, like they were being watched by something, or someone. There was no way they could be however as the only way in or out of the room was via the entrance they had taken.

The circular wall of the room was decorated with more of the strange paintings that the previous room had, this time huge symbols lined the walls and floor.

"Uh guys. . . where the hell are we?" Quin whimpered as she looked around the room. 

It was about twice the size of the previous room with the riddle and had sconces that held torched running in three rings all around the wall. The flames were in a repeating blue and orange pattern and strange silver monoliths sat beneath each sconce. 

"Ok uh. . . so your whole visions, getting messages in your sleep thing? Starting to buy into it a little, not gonna lie," Spatch exclaimed.

The whole room had a vastly different colour scheme to it as well. Where as the rest of the temple seemed to have a reddish maroon type of colour, this central room seemed to have more of a golden almost yellow palette. 

Ko and Fischer stood right next to each other at the base of the stairs. The looked up towards the strange altar, more importantly the object that sat in the middle.

"Light. . . light the lantern. . ." Ko whispered as she realised what it was she was looking at.

She took a small step forwards before Fischer hastily grasped her forearm.

"Ko! Just. . . just wait a second. . . are you sure you want to do this?" He asked.

She turned around and stared into his worried eyes. She honestly didn't know the answer. These past few months she had been terrorised by these glimpses. Constantly harassed and berated. She Barely got any sleep and even when she did, it never lasted long. She had been the cause of so much worry and panic that she ha no control over. 

But at the same time her life had finally returned to something resembling normality. Diamar was light years away, she finally had people who she could call friends, people who she could wake up in the morning and be glad to see. She finally knew what it felt like to trust someone, to be happy. She finally knew what freedom was. 

She could chose between that freedom, or her own sanity. But one thing was clear. She couldn't have both.

"I. . . I. . ." she stuttered, trying to find her words.

"I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't. . . I don't want any of you to be put in danger though. Please, if you want to go back and wait by the ship that's completely fine. I just don't want anyone to get hurt."

"Ko we've flown halfway across the galaxy for this. Whether you like it or not, you're stuck with us," Kori winked.

Fischer moved his hand from her wrist to her shoulder and leaned a little closer. "We've got your back buddy. I've got your back. Whatever we're doing, we're doing it together."

She gave him a little smile. But deep down she knew something was wrong. She couldn't help but feel slightly sick. Knowing that the only people she'd ever gotten close with were stuck in a temple hidden deep in unknown space.

But she was also glad they were there. Knowing that they came all this way just to help her.

She let out a large sigh and prepared herself. Fischer stood by her ready to tackle whatever it was that came next.