27 - Lust

The following chapter contains scenes of sexual assault and may be rather confronting for some readers. Viewer discretion is advised.

----------------------------------------------------------

Spatch sat in the cockpit of his jump ship with his feet up on the dashboard and his eyes closed. He'd been drifting in and out of consciousness for the past few hours. They'd departed from Xarder about half a day ago and were a little over halfway to their destination.

For a tug pilot like himself sleep was a rare commodity, one he'd happily trade a few merits for. So whenever he got the chance he made sure he got as much shut eye as possible. Sleeping on the ship was always hard though. The cockpit was cramped and claustrophobic with very little leg room. Still, he wasn't complaining.

Just before he managed to doze off again, the cockpit door slid open with a gentle hiss. He turned around to see Fischer drowsily walk in.

"Hey there. What're you doing up?" He asked as Fischer took a seat in the co-pilot's chair.

"Ugh, I just couldn't get to sleep. The past week has just been. . . well not great, I won't lie."

A feeling of guilt started to sink into the veranah's stomach. He couldn't help but agree. It hadn't exactly been the best time.

"You not sleeping either?" Fischer asked.

"Eh, kinda. Been drifting in and out of it. Kinda been dozing off. Besides, I like the view. It doesn't get old. Kinda mesmerising if I'm being honest."

Fischer gazed out the jump ship's window at the rainbow of colour that flashed around them as they moved. Bridging between different points of the galaxy was an incredible experience. It was almost like they were constantly flying into a billion different nebulae. His eyes widened slightly at the sight of the colours. As he watched, a feeling of isolation began to emerge in his gut. He'd felt it before. Back on Earth during the car ride with Ko.

Despite her being in the same ship as him, only meters away, It felt like a thousand light years separated them.

There was a moment of peaceful silence in the cabin as the two of them sat there, minding their own business. The silence was soothing but also deafening. Spatch seemed to think so as well.

"Hey uh. . . I didn't get a chance to say this earlier and I uh, just feel really bad about bringing it up. But. . . I'm really sorry about Kori."

Fischer's gaze dragged across the sky and onto Spatch's gloomy eyes. His brow lowered and his face formed into a gentle frown.

"I wish there was more I could've done. He seemed like a helluva guy."

Fischer replied with a slow nod and a heavy heart. "Yea. . . th-thanks. He was. He really was. Without him Ko and I would probably still be wandering the streets."

Spatch's features turned from sadness to surprise. "You know, you never told me how you and Ko met. Or how any of you met actually. Lemme guess, you from Earth?"

"Uh, yea actually. How did you know? The carcans thought I was crazy when I told them."

"Heh, wel when you said that you were at the temple because Ko was having wacky dreams and seeing the future I thought you were crazy as well. However I'm a bit more of a. . . believer if you will. Besides, there ain't a human colony I know of with clothes that boring," the veranah jested pointing to his olive jacket.

"Heh, yea I guess. Everything out here has so much style to it. It really is quite beautiful. I can't believe I could've spent my whole life not knowing about this. Any of this," he stated as he waved his hand to the window.