00.

-

On the walls in a large, open home deep in the forest of Forks, Washington, there were dozens of photographs. Flashes of memories, captured and displayed for all to see. It was nothing like the ironic collection of graduation caps that masqueraded as modern art, or the various broken baseball bats they had neatly in a shadow box.

No, these pictures were of a girl, as pretty and fair as a fairy. Her smile was radiant in every photo, her expressions full of joy. Some were posed, some were candid, but she was genuine in all of them. Most of them also featured one familiar golden-haired boy, always touching her in some way. His arm around her waist, their hands tightly grasped together, or his hands tangled in her flaxen hair as he cradled her gently to his chest.

"Who's this?" Bella asked her boyfriend, noticing the photos for the first time.

No one had ever mentioned another member of their coven, and the way Esme and Rose were hugging the girl told her that they were close. She was as beautiful as a vampire would be, but her eyes gave her away as a human. Bella thought she was the first human they were entangled with.

"Oh," Edward breathed. "That's Daisy."

Even he didn't like talking about her. The pain was still raw. It echoed through the thoughts of anyone that glimpsed at the framed memories. He knew Jasper avoided this hallway because of the photographs, and he didn't blame him.

"Who?"

"Daisy Marsh. She was Jasper's girlfriend."

"What?" She was stunned. The same vampire that nearly drank her dry at her own birthday party had a human girlfriend. With the way he held her, closer and secure, he clearly didn't have an issue with her blood.

"I don't... I don't think I'm the one that should be telling you about her," Edward felt uneasy. Last time anyone mentioned her name, Jasper didn't hunt for two weeks. Esme had to call him in sick from school because he became too much of a risk.

Bella frowned. Jasper was notoriously apprehensive about her, he never talked to her unless he had to, and he would never get close. How was she meant to ask?

The perfect opportunity arose with the threat of a newborn army. They had spent a few hours training with the Quileute shapeshifters, Jasper lending his expertise to the cause. Bella was sitting on the hood of Emmett's Jeep, away from the mock fighting for her own safety. As everyone was dispersing from the clearing, she managed to catch Jasper alone, leaning against a large tree and watching members of his coven playfully bother each other.

"Jasper," she started, catching his attention. "Can you tell me about Daisy?"

He visibly stiffened at the mention of her name, his fists clenched, and his golden eyes shifted to a dark pitch. He couldn't blame her for being curious, and he knew she had no il-intentions. But Daisy was still an open wound for him. Perhaps if he told Bella about her, she would understand and never bring her up again.

"What do you want to know?"

His family had stopped what they were doing and were listening in. This was the first time he had talked about her since he lost her.

"How did you meet?"

A sorrowful smile graced his lips, the memory still vivid.

"I tripped her."