0000.

Jasper continued to caress the book in his lap, his mind a million miles away. He had kept his promise, he couldn't remember how many times he had read that book, read every little note and poem she had hidden in the margins. It was a piece of her soul, one he cherished. While a soft smile on his lips, he looked at Bella, who was watching him carefully.

"She was everything I could ever want, she was perfect," he chuckled. "I didn't end up reading this until she was in hospital. I couldn't leave her side, and she was asleep most of the time. I would read it to her, even when I didn't know if she could hear me or not."

Bella teared up at the sheer pain etched all over his face at the memory. So, Daisy was sick, very sick. She could only assume the worst.

"What was wrong with her?" she asked tentatively.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Jasper returned to looking at the novel.

"She had a brain tumor, inoperable and aggressive. She knew about it before I even met her. She told me about it, the morning after I told her I loved her, said she'd understand if I left her. She didn't want me to pretend to love her out of pity. But I couldn't leave her, not when she needed me. Someday were rough, she couldn't always keep food down, she'd get migraines and dizzy spells. Then it got worse."

He clenched his eye closed, struggling to stop his despair from crashing into Bella.

"I told her... about being a vampire. Offered her an out. I could have changed her, we could have spent forever together."

"Why didn't you?"

He gave her a tight smile and shook his head. "I couldn't. I don't think she would have survived the transformation, and Carlisle agreed. It would have destroyed her; she was so weak and frail at the end. I didn't want her life to end in that kind of torture."

"Edward hasn't really explained mates to me. Was she yours?"

"No, we can only find mates with other vampires," he looked at her when he felt a downturn in her emotions. "We can still find love, elsewhere. I had a choice in loving her, and I'll never regret that. If she was changed, I have no doubt that she would be my mate. It's a deep, intense bond, we can sense it."

Bella breathed out a sigh of relief when he gave her a reassuring smile.

"Can you tell me another story?"

"Maybe after we deal with the newborns, Bella," Jasper stood gracefully, walking back inside. But not before leaving Daisy's book on the small table beside Bella.

She picked it up gently, being careful with the delicate and meaningful object. 

"He wants you to read it," Edward's voice cut through the silence, startling her. He drifted to her side, kneeling beside her, and setting his hands atop hers. "She's not here anymore, but she will always be a part of our family. He wants you to get to know her."

---

The newborn threat had passed, and now Bella was busy helping Alice plan her own wedding. That led to many nights staying at the Cullen's home, going over magazines and guest lists. When Alice became too overwhelming, Bella would escape to the same balcony on which she had talked to Jasper weeks ago. 

He'd always be there, rain or shine. He needed the fresh air and the space away from Alice's excitement, or so he said. Bella could see the sadness in him, perhaps imagining about what he could have had with Daisy. She was sure it was hard being around so many happy couples while you knew the love of your life was dead. 

Bella would sit with him in silence, until he would start talking about her again. He would talk like she wasn't there, and she would be gracious enough to stay quiet. It was like therapy for him, as close as he thinks he'll ever get to closure. Story after story, talking about her got easier.