000.

Bella beamed at the fondness in Jasper’s voice, it was the most tranquil she had ever seen him. The rest of his family were still watching on, adorning sad smiles as they listened to the way he described Daisy, the love he still held for her was crashing off him in waves, washing over everyone around him.

“Did Alice see her coming?”

Alice stepped forward, taking Jasper’s hand and giving it a comforting squeeze.

“I didn’t see her, not really. She was foggy, like a mirage. She was never quite there,” Alice explained, her usual cheery voice somber.

Bella frowned in confusion. That wasn’t how she described the blind spots in her visions that were caused by the local shapeshifters. Was Daisy gifted? Like Bella?

“What happened to her?"

Jasper clenched his eyes tightly, stinging with venom and an embarrassing sob caught in his throat. This was a bad idea; he couldn’t do this. Talking about it made it too real. She was gone, and he was still here.

“Maybe another time, Bella,” Alice gave her a tight-lipped smile before coaxing Jasper away from the human and back towards their home.

Edward appeared at Bella's side, his arm snaking around her waist. He pressed a tender kiss to the crown of her head.

"He's trying. It hurts him, thinking about her. He'll tell you, eventually."

---

It had been a couple of weeks since Bella asked about Daisy, giving her a glimpse into the complex mystery that was Jasper. The newborn army would be here for her in a few days and everyone was on edge, fluttering around trying to distract themselves. All but Jasper.

Bella found him sitting on the upstairs balcony, nose buried in well loved book. She could see the dog-earing on many of the yellowing pages, the crack down it’s spine and the worn paper cover. He didn’t seem to notice when she joined him, his mind too far away in another world. She finally caught a glimpse of the cover, Sense and Sensibility.

She must have been staring at him for a while, because he shifted on his chair and closed the book, eyes flickering to her.

“You would have like her,” he said softly, his fingers absentmindedly brushing over the book’s cover. At first, she was confused, but then it clicked. Daisy. He was willingly bringing up Daisy. Her eyes went wide, her mouth agape, causing Jasper to chuckle. "She would have liked you, too."

“Can you tell me about her? What was she like?” Bella took a seat next to him, hands clasped in her lap as she tried to contain her eagerness.

“This world was unworthy of her.”

”