Chapter 44 - Rewind(Part 1)

A week had passed since my return.

The day after I reunited with Persia, I headed for the Adventurer Academy. I needed to report the aftermath of that day, and I wanted to get it over with. I met with the Headmaster, who led me to the royal castle, where I proceeded to explain everything to the king and everyone else present.

The final explosion, the Zombie extermination, the details I'd learnt regarding The Valaque Empire, their Tier hierarchical and ranking system, and about Karma.

I'd have preferred to keep my new power a secret, but I had no choice, I had to make it clear just how powerful a Karma user is. I could barely land a scratch on even the lowest ranked of the six of them, after all, so I can't afford to keep them in the dark about this.

I was asked if it would be possible to replicate that safely, but I responded no, at least not as far as I know. I explained that I had only survived thanks to my Healing Factor, pain threshold, and the idea to use a Mana Orb to contain it. I also pointed out the low success rate, as only six of them had survived out of hundreds of test subjects.

I found out that they'd held funerals for Instructor Trocuelo and the others who had succumbed to the Zombies.

The Goldway citizens who had managed to get away had been given citizenships and Identification Cards in the Rustlands. A few of them included Adventurers, two of the S-Ranks. One of which was Einn Olbaw, the guy I'd fought in the exhibition match.

Once I was done reporting everything I knew, I headed back, making sure to replenish my needle and throwing knives supply, as well as buying some new clothes since I had lost so many outfits since the Goldway Quest began. I found myself a black tracksuit, which I was pretty thrilled with, it was really comfortable.

After that, I ended up running into a few other familiar faces here and there.

First off, I met up with the rest of year one's Group D. That night went a little something like this...

"Hey, Az! Good to see you, man!" I greeted, as we all met up at the bar where I used to work.

I walked into the room we'd booked with Persia, the other three were already there.

"Kuro, glad you're alive. Good to see you too," He responded with a small wave.

"You've really opened up a lot, Azyl. A few months ago, I couldn't even imagine you saying more than two words to another person, and look at you now," Remarked Key, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Oh, I see...I don't know how to respond to that," He replied with a shrug, after a brief silence.

We all ordered food and drinks, as the night went underway.

"So, lemme get dis straight...you really walked all the way back?" Asked Rai, slightly tipsy after having a beer.

I was drinking too, but I was letting my Healing Factor do its thing, so I wasn't getting inebriated.

"Yeah, I did. I suppose having a bike or something would have been nice, it was so boring," I mused, shuddering as I recalled the last month.

"Wait, what did you eat and drink? We had canned food and Water Magic, but you didn't," Inquired Azyl, putting down his empty beer mug.

We had all drank about the same amount so far, and after me, he looked the least drunk. Guess he could really hold his liquor, huh.

"Yeah, I'm wondering about that too, you didn't tell me," Added Persia, with a slight slur, before it looked like she had a realization and added, "...wait, don't tell me that you...ate yourself?"