11

"Did you hear? Lady Rashta is having an affair with His Imperial Majesty!"

"My! Our emperor was so kind to bring in a filthy commoner and eventually make her an Empress and this is what she does?! The audacity!"

These were the murmurs that I have heard as I passed by on the hallways of the castle. It seems that my plan with Duke Ergi has been set in stone, all I need to do is wait for  the right action to come and justice will be served.

****

Sovieshu's POV

"What?! Rumours like that are spreading among the palace?!" I raged and slammed my desk while looking at my trusted advisor.

"Yes, Your Majesty. This rumour is getting out of hand, we must take it to the---"

"Find out whoever is spreading malicious news about the Imperial Family and punish them!"

There is only one person I know who would do this. I hurriedly barged in Navier's room and only saw her work on some of the events we had planned for months.

Still, I couldn't help but suppress my rage. She, Rashta and I were the only ones who knew about those possibilities. If rumours like those went out that means...

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Navier? I know you despise Rashta being my concubine but to mar the integrity of the Imperial Family?! You're too much!"

I exclaimed at her. She responded with a blank face and glare.

"I don't know what you are talking about, Your Majesty. If anything, I know better not to spread audacious rumours like that."

"I know Rashta told you those possibilities! How could you take advantage of that kindness?! She cares for the Empire as much as you claim you are!" 

We were arguing in the heat of the moment, and suddenly Navier had slapped my face. For the first time, I saw her tearing up.

All of the rage that I felt because of the situation suddenly vanished seeing her cry like this. Although it was too late, I tried to calm myself down and held her hand.

"Empress... I-I'm sorry... I was only..."

Navier couldn't be bothered but walk away from the scenario. She shoved me away, wiped her tears and exited the room without saying a word and I could only watch her walk away.

****

Navier's POV

I've done it. I've slapped Sovieshu. All my life, I have been studying and working hard to be the Empress that Sovieshu and the Eastern Empire can need, but it was all in vain all because of the rumour?

Is that all Sovieshu amounts to?

To calm myself down, I could only go to palace gardens and sit down on hammock that me and Sovieshu built as kids.

I could only remember those times when we were carefree, lively and full of aspirations.

It's unbefitting for an Empress but I lied down on the hammock and put my hand on top of my eyes to hide the tears.

"I knew I'd find you here." A familiar voice came to me. I immediately wiped my tears and looked at that person. It was Prince, or should I say, King Heinrey.

"You're back from your trip. I'm glad to see you again." I stood up and gave him a curtsy to greet his royal presence.

He kept up his smile and gave me a handkerchief.

"You're a great Empress, Queen. However, it is also a must that you show emotions. You don't need to hide it." He said while offering his elbow.

"Shall I take you on a walk?" 

I couldn't possibly resist such kind offer, I held onto his arms and walked around the palace as we exchanged opinions about the rumours ongoing.

****

Rashta's POV

I was looking through the window once more and saw that King Heinrey and Empress Navier are getting along while walking around the courtyard.

It made me feel like everything is actually going to place. I heard the door open once more and it was Duke Ergi.

"Your plan worked like magic, Lady Rashta." He said.

I kept on staring at the window while holding onto my womb. The weight of the story's events is crushing me and the pressure to make things right for all of us, but I have to focus on the current events.

"Say, Duke Ergi... Since we are allies right now... What's your real intention in causing ruckus in the Eastern Empire?" I asked as I sat down in front of him.

"I thought you know as much, M'lady. There is no need to answer that. As long as you are doing your role perfectly, it doesn't matter." He smiled and sipped tea.

Even as a reader I never understood why Duke Ergi was doing all of those and with these events accounted, I could his intentions are still blur to me.

"Moreover so, we are both benefitting in this scenario. Let's just enjoy the events, shall we?" He poured more tea in my cup and indulged with the biscuits provided.