16

"I believe you must answer that question, Lady Rashta. What did Viscount Lotteshu threaten you with in order to extort money?"

My hands shook as I was about to utter the words that everyone wants to hear. This is a game between me and the Viscount. Will he reveal that I have a child or not?

"He threatened me that---" I kept on stalling to see if he were to budge and actually pull the downfall of his family.

No law states that I shouldn't have a kid before being married to Sovieshu, right?

Viscount Lotteshu didn't know what to do as well. I kept on analyzing in my head whether what truth should I bring out that would be the most advantageous for me.

I kept on looking at my surroundings and calmed down to finally reveal the truth.

"Viscount Lotteshu has threatened me that if I do not give him money, he would reveal that I once had a relationship with his son, Alan and the fact that....we had....a...son..."

My revelation brought shock to almost everyone. Sovieshu was surprised to hear this.

Viscount Lotteshu laughed. "Do you seriously believe this delusional woman?! Alan is out of the country, studying abroad! Why would he be with the likes of you?!"

I was getting cornered already, the trial room was being filled with murmurs and different buzzing opinions. Only the sound of gavel coming from the judge got everyone in order.

The councilman continued the line of questioning.

"Can you elaborate on this, Lady Rashta?"

I decided to go with Viscount Lotteshu's lie so that I could surprise everyone once Alan arrives to the court, which I hope that he will.

"The reason why I ran away was that... Lord Alan and I had a relationship. We have conceived a child and I found out that my child had died out of birth. Suddenly, when my rank rose up, Viscount Lotteshu came to and told me the news that they were alive..."

I can already hear the judgement coming from the nobles. Some understood why Rashta did that, some thought it was audacious of Rashta to even use Imperial funds for her out of wedlock baby.

"Do you have anything to say on this, Viscount Lotteshu?"

He gritted his teeth once more, showing that he cannot find a way to escape his lie.

"There's no way you can prove it, not without my son here! Innocent until proven guilty!"

He rebutted. I only answered the questions being thrown at me, it's their choice whether to believe me or not anyways.

"Well that brings us to the issue at hand. Now that we have established Lady Rashta had relationships prior to our Emperor... How long has it been since you have entered the palace?"

I gulped, it was obvious that Glorym wasn't Sovieshit's child why didn't this occur to anyone in the novel?

"Almost a year, Chancellor..." I answered nervously.

"Given the fact that you indeed got pregnant two months after being a concubine, it really makes the identity of your child questionable, Lady Rashta."

I couldn't answer, Viscount Lotteshu only smirked as he found out another weakness of mine.

Suddenly, the courtroom door opened which caught everyone's attention. It was Alan who bravely entered.

"Hahaha! My dear son! You've come to testify against her, right?"

Alan's POV

Although I was nervous, I still went to trial as what Duke Ergi had suggested. He explained to me all of Rashta's plans and how we are going to take down my father.

All my life, I've never been good enough for him, I was always berated, hell I cannot even gain his title...

It felt so awful, because I cannot even be with the woman I love. I'm sure that Rashta resents me right now, that's why she ran away.

But this is my chance to make it up to her.

"What a pleasant surprise." The Empress said, who was observing the entire trial. I went to the jury seat and waited to be called.

"Hahaha! My dear son, you've come to testify against her, right?"

I heard my father desperately said while laughing like a maniac. I just shook my head.

The trial continued as usual, I was then called to be interrogated. I made an oath to tell the truth and the line of questioning began.

"Is it true that you had a former relationship with Lady Rashta, Master Alan?"  The Emperor himself asked.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I once had. It is also true that we have a kid together. His name is Ian."

I answered.

"What about the statement where Lady Rashta said that she ran away because she thought her child with you died unfortunately. How do you prove that to be true?"

It was the Emperor and Empress who is asking me questions now. I glanced at Rashta and she just nodded. She has become a different person since the last time we talked, but somehow whatever I am doing feels liberating.

Just wait, Rashta. I'll make things right for you.