Chapter 12: Summer

I spoke too soon. I got my hopes up too quickly.

Cam was back to the whole zero conversation thing. And I missed my "Good mornings."

I thought with him offering me a ride and being nice that maybe he had stepped through a time machine and all my worries would melt away.

How could we take two massive steps forward only to take five back?

I slumped forward, hunching my shoulders over my lunch. None of this looked remotely appetizing, but a girl's gotta eat.

I took a bite of my ham sandwich, mentally cringing at the bland taste. It could use some mayo and some other type of cheese that wasn't Swiss. I didn't care what anyone said; cheese slices with holes in them did not taste yummy.

I peeled the disgraceful cheese out of my sandwich, resting it on the side of my Styrofoam tray. It didn't last long because Rosie picked it up and ate it.

I scrunched up my nose at her. Out of all of us, she had the weirdest food taste like mustard and mayo on her fries or dipping her chocolate chip cookie into nacho cheese. The thought alone made me want to throw up in my mouth. Rosie looked like the sweetest one out of the three of us, and it was true. She had more of a calm demeanor, friendly tone, and warm aura. The only problem with that was it was the perfect recipe for a pushover. If we didn't step in sometimes, the people around Rosie would gladly walk all over her.

While Kenny and I could potentially be sweet, friendly, and all-around decent people, we had a short fuse. Me, more so than Kenny.

"Seems like Cam's got a new friend," Kenny stated as her eyes found their lunch table in the corner of the cafeteria.

I peeked over my shoulder for the umpteenth time today. "Yup," I sighed. "Good for him," I mumbled bitterly. I picked at my sandwich before taking another bite.

"He's a freshman on the chess team. Wicked smart." Rosie told us. "I think his name is Suho Kim. He's half Korean like me." She smiled.

If they were more Koreans in this school, Rosie would start a club. And if they would let me, I would join them because why not? Koreans were awesome. Especially my bestie. I could learn more about their culture and cuisine. So when I finally got to South Korea after years of planning a trip with Rosie and Kenny, I'd know how to appreciate the country respectfully.

"That's cool. I wonder why he chose Cam out of all people to hang out with. He's not exactly Mr. Friendly anymore," Kenny said, throwing a fry a soggy French fry into her mouth. She enjoyed her lunch just as much as I did. That was sarcasm.

"Who knows?" I muttered, wanting a topic change.

Kenny laughed. "How long will you be holding a grudge against him this time?"

"Only until he bats his long eyelashes at her," Rosie supplied.

"Or maybe it'll be when he winks, flashing her his famous grin."

"You guys..." I said under my breath with irritation. It's no secret that I spent the summer cursing out Cam and wishing he'd stub his toe or something. But as soon as I saw him outside his mom's salon, it's like I'd forgotten all about those weeks of radio silence. Even now, we're back to practical strangers, and I knew if he were to strike up a conversation, I'd be putty in his hands.

Gosh, that was pathetic.

"I get it. I do. I'm weak where Cameron St. James is concerned," I confessed through my teeth. "I'll get over him... in time." Maybe.

Cam wasn't giving me a choice. He clearly doesn't want to explore what we could have been, and I was the one being all... whatever you called this.