Chapter 32: Cam

"Cam, did you hear me?" Summer said with her brows drawing together. "I know the music is obnoxiously loud, but I don't think I could talk any louder. I already feel like I'm shouting."

I shook my head.

Summer's eyes blinked a couple of times.

"It's not the music... I... um..." My eyes trailed down the length of her appreciatively. "I can't think about anything. That dress..." Summer was wearing a yellow off-the-shoulder cocktail dress that fell mid-thigh. This dress was sinfully made. The bodice hugged her like a corset accentuating her waist.

Then her hair was parted in the middle, but it was pin straight, silky enough that it shimmered under the recessed lighting. Summer looked outrageously gorgeous.

But my favorite bit from the look was the accessory hanging from her neck. The pendant I made her months ago.

Nervously picking up on the fact that I was checking her out, Summer smoothed a hand through the ends of her hair.

"You know Phoebe did my hair earlier. Your Mom helped too." She informed me.

I had no idea, but I had to thank them later. Summer was perfect from head to toe. Not that her appearance didn't affect me daily, but today, it felt like cupid hit me with two arrows, and I didn't know how to act.

I didn't want these words to miss her ears, so I pulled her close to me and whispered. "I love it." I felt a shiver of pass through Summer before I stepped back, dropping my arm.

I wasn't going to draw any more attention on us than I needed to.

"You look pretty hot yourself. Remind me to take a picture of this so I can cherish this moment."

I'd wear a suit every day for the rest of my life if it made her grin the way she was right now.

I rolled my eyes. "Better yet, how about you steal one from Mom? She took a bunch earlier, saying she needed some for the photo album."

Summer nodded. "I'll have to tell her to share!"

She looked around the place. "By the way, my grandfather is here. Somewhere. He saw the bar and kind of rolled off."

I chuckled. That sounded like Johnny.

"I saved you a seat at our table. And as a heads up, I told Mom I was bringing a date."

I waited for her to hit me with the "but" that I knew was coming.

"But I didn't say it was you."

There it was.

"Summer..." I closed my eyes, trying not to stress how bad of an idea that was.

"Don't worry. She won't cause a scene here."

That eased none of my worries.

"She won't be sitting at our table. And I got grandpa Johnny to back me up. So I promise it'll be okay." Summer kissed my cheek, and for once, she didn't have to stand on her tiptoes to do it, thanks to the high heels she was wearing.

"Alright. I trust you."

A smile lit up her face. "Say that one more time. It was nice."

I chuckled. "No way." I reached for her hand, "Let's go grab our seats before everything starts."

Johnny made his way over to us before the MC could officially open the event. He was assisted by Natalie Adams, one of the local reporters at the news station that screwed me over.

"Thanks, Nat," he told her, giving her a thumbs up.

"Sure thing Johnny." Then Natalie looked at us.