Chapter 33: Summer

PAST

It only took four outfit changes to get here.

I twirled in the mirror, finally loving this choice. I thought about how Cam's face would light up when he saw me.

I had no idea where this date would be or what we would do, but I've been bouncing with excitement all day.

When I checked the time, I still had a few minutes left before Cam's arrival. So I put my feet up, sipping on my leftover Starbucks latte.

Minutes turned to an hour, and I got a little worried. I hoped Cam was okay.

"He's not coming."

I jumped, hearing Mom's voice behind me.

Then I laughed at myself for being so distracted that I hadn't heard the front door.

"No, he's still coming. He's just a little late." Which was so unlike Cam.

"Honey, that wasn't a question. It was a statement. You got all dressed up for nothing because he's not coming." Mom stood up straighter, folding her arms.

"Uh, do you know something I don't?" I laughed dryly since it wasn't possible.

Cam was just late, which is unusual for him, but he wouldn't stand me. He wasn't that kind of guy.

But Cam also wasn't the type to ignore my calls or texts. I stared down at my empty notification bar before checking if he had read the messages in his inbox. Nope.

There was no way Cam couldn't have seen the texts.

Unless he lost his phone or Oh my gosh! What if Cam's stranded somewhere with a dead phone and broken down car and he needed help. Or what if there was some family emergency? Or what if Cam somehow got hurt and no one knew where he was? OR...

"Stop playing all those wild scenarios in your head. It's nothing like what you think." Mom sighed, not caring that I was in a panic or bothering to comfort me and tell me that it would be okay. She knew what I what through with Drake, and she was very supportive. And I knew she loved Cam so that I couldn't understand the cold look in her eyes. "And sorry to break it to you like this, but I don't want you to see that boy again."

That boy?

"Mom, it's Cam. How could you say that? He's my boyfr–"

"Not anymore. And If you don't want to be grounded until the day you move out, you better."

My brows furrowed with confusion as my heart thumped painfully in my chest.

Why would I let Cam go? How could I? The last few weeks of my life had circulated around him. Around us.

Cam wasn't just some guy.

I thought I might be...

A ding from Mom's phone had her slipping out of her back pocket to glance at it.

"It's all out for the world to know now. So you should see it for yourself. News in this small town travels fast." Mom shook her head, but it was her tone of voice that threw me for a loop. She sounded almost pleased about something, but I could be reading her wrong.

I could be reading everything wrong because I was clueless at the moment.

"Summer, come look at this." She waved me forward, and I followed her to the family room.

Mom turned on the TV putting on the local news.

Cam's high school photo flashed on the screen.

"Why is Cam on the...?" I gasped, my hands slapping both cheeks.