Chapter 22: Cam

"I heard we have a visitor," Johnny said when I entered his room. He was actually in bed today, lounging with one arm behind his back. All he needed was one of those coconut drinks with an umbrella, and he'd look like he was in relaxation mode.

"We?" I asked, eyeing the television in front of him. It was another classical black and white movie, but this one I recognized because it starred Shirley Temple.

"Yup, the good ole mayor is coming to visit," Johnny snickered. I shouldn't be happy that he couldn't stand the mayor, but it felt good when you and your friend shared a distaste for someone, that and the more people who could see through the mayor's BS, the better.

But if I had known that man would be here, I would have skipped my usual visit and tried again on Sunday. It was a miracle I've spent this long without seeing the mayor's in person again. Another day or two, maybe even the rest of my life, would've been great.

I hadn't been standing there more than five minutes when one of the nurses asked Johnny if he would like to join the press gathering in the dining hall. Supposedly, a few residents were making their way down, excited to possibly get their picture taken with their "favorite" mayor.

"You interested?" I asked Johnny.

He made a disagreeing grunt noise. "I'm only going because there's going to be snacks."

I helped him into his wheelchair, and we headed down.

Reporters from the paper were reporting live, and about a dozen residents were watching the scene.

The mayor got up on this podium, and he spoke about the new edition to the building and how he believed the residents would benefit from it, etc.

A few photos were snapped, and more than a couple of snacks were stolen and shoved under Johnny's hoodie. I was his willing accomplice.

After the little speech, I had unfortunately bumped into my biggest enemy on my way to rescue Johnny, who had gotten caught up in a conversation with Dolores.

"Cameron." He addressed me. I tried to step around him, but he blocked my path. Awesome. "If you don't like to follow the law and you can't comprehend that rules given to you were not meant to be broken, then maybe you want to see all your mother's hard work down the drain."

I flexed my hands, resisting the urge to make a fist.

His eyes flickered down to them, and the bastard smiled. He knew I couldn't hit him, but man, did I want to. So badly.

"I'm happy I didn't have to go as low as sabotaging her business. My loyal townspeople did that for me. I heard clients don't want to go in because who would want their hair styled by the woman who raised such a delinquent son?"

I knew Mom's salon was struggling, but I wanted to be in denial. I wanted her to confirm for me instead of jumping to conclusions. Businesses had their dry seasons. This could be hers. It didn't necessarily mean that I had something to do with that. But hearing it from this man's mouth... crap.

I had to go.

I had to go before I did or said something I couldn't take back. Again.

He stepped a bit closer. "But it could always get worse from there."

Was that a threat?

"Are you done?" I grumbled. I

"Yes. I just had to make sure my point came across, Cameron."

"Loud and clear."

"And one other thing. IT WASN'T A SUGGESTION when I said to stay away from Summer."