Chapter 36: Summer

I bit down on my lip as I scrolled through the comments on my last post about the mayor. I had included enough pictures and factual evidence to back up my story, even though everyone in town already knew the truth. This blog post was my take on the whole situation, and I wanted everyone to read what I had to say.

At the end of the post, I wrote that the townspeople should apologize to Cameron. While his strategy in handling the situation wasn't the best, it was understandable why he would act the way he did. And it was such a major relief to see everyone support him again.

The comments were flooded with readers saying things like the mayor is a fake and how people who judged Cam these last few months should be ashamed of themselves. It was easy to see that Cam never got to tell his side of the story. He was blamed for the crime and punished. Not to mention looked down on. The way his reputation took a hit affected his future and all those close to him.

I made the time to respond to a few comments while waiting for Cam in his jeep. He mentioned that the team was having a brief meeting. And I couldn't wait to ask for all the details.

I heard a tap on the window and jumped.

"CAMERON!" I hissed while he laughed.

Cam opened the door and rested on foot inside while his hands went to the roof. Then ducked his head in. "Replying to all your adoring fans?" he asked.

"Yup. I'm getting a lot of hits at the moment. Maybe because the mayor is trending." I shrugged. "Or it could this hockey player's rise back to glory."

There was the briefest of smiles. "It's one heck of a story, huh?"

"Yup. Crazy." I looked down at my phone, seeing more comments coming in real-time.

"Can we talk about that blog name? It's going to have to go during the revamp." Cameron so helpfully pointed out.

"Yes, I know, but it was the best thing I could come up with. You'll have to brainstorm a new name with me then." I angled my body towards him.

Cam pointed to himself with a brow raised. "Me? You want to recruit me for these things?"

"Yup. You and the girls. They're in on this too. When I told them that...." Wait a minute. I stared at Cam suspiciously.

As if he was a mind reader, a slow grin appeared. "What you thinking, sunshine?"

"H-h-how did you know? What gave it away? Did the girls tell you?" I had to backtrack and think of when I might've slipped up. But I was drawing a blank.

"Well, I stumbled across it and thought the name reminded me of you. It wasn't until I read the blog posts that I was sure."

My jaw dropped. "OMG!"

"Yeah. I've been a fan for a while. I left comments and everything. You've replied to all of them. Thanks for that, by the way. You didn't have to."

I was still staring at him in disbelief long after he spoke. "I can't believe you." I thought back to all my usual readers and their usernames. One stood out the most.

LONELYSTAR

"You're LONELYSTAR, aren't you?"

Cam nodded with pride. "The one and only." He winked. "I wanted to wait until you decided to tell me yourself. When was that going to be, by the way?"

"I don't know! I just told the girls yesterday after posting." I combed my hands through my hair and scratched my neck. Then I fidgeted in my seat. I didn't know how to feel.

"Summer?" Cam said softly. "Please stop freaking out. It's not a big deal."

I shook my head. "I feel like it is, which is funny because I didn't freak out when I told the girls. They also knew the truth before I told them too. I've concluded that I would not only make a terrible undercover agent, but I'm a crappy ass liar. I can't hide these things to save my life." I grumbled.