Chapter three//Jasper

THIS MORNING WAS LIKE ANY OTHER AS I GOT READY FOR WORK

THIS MORNING WAS LIKE ANY OTHER AS I GOT READY FOR WORK. It had been about two weeks since I questioned Daniel Butcher about his family and, since then, the Institution had been running tests on him. They said it would jog his memory and tell them things he couldn't. I had tried to explain that it wasn't that he could remember but rather that he didn't want to tell us but they simply ignored me and pushed me out of the room.

I wasn't going to say that these tests were humane as the screams that left Daniel's mouth proved they weren't. He had cried for them to let him out but they refused and continued on.

Of course, I didn't approve of these tests and had done everything in my power to stop them but nothing worked and they were completely legal so I couldn't do much more. I had zero jurisdiction to.

My heels tapped the shiny clean floor as I passed by the labs in the institution and I kept my head down as I passed others. Daniel Butcher's files were in my arms that pulled them tightly against my chest.

Screams couldn't be missed as I passed different lab rooms. I was unsure of how many people exactly they were running these tests on but I knew it wasn't just a few, it was many.

I came to a slow stop at one large window that looked into one lab room where Daniel lay on a hospital bed with different things wired up to him and at least five Doctors stood around him, busying themselves with tasks.

For a while I simply watched, seeing him in obvious discomfort but he didn't seem in as much pain as he had the previous night. My fist lightly knocked on the door and it was soon opened for me, one Doctor allowing me to enter the room.

Cautiously, I walked over to Daniel and pulled up a chair beside his bed before taking a seat. "How are you feeling, Daniel? Are you in any pain?"

He shook his head in response. "Not right now."

"Okay, that's good." I then leaned a bit closer to Daniel but still kept my distance. "I promise, you won't be in here much longer." I whispered and he stared me dead in eyes.

"You don't have to." He spoke, making me furrow my brows and think for a second.

"What do you mean?" I quietly asked.

"I'll get out of here one day. You don't need to help."

I nodded, "I'm sure will one day, Daniel, when you're better."

I didn't acknowledge it but Daniel shook his head yet never lost eye contact with me. Daniel lacked emotion anyway but, right now, it was like there was nothing there, no thoughts just a void inside a person's mind.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. Reaching over lazily to answer it, I was met with nothing but paper under my hands. I sat up, seeing I had fallen asleep at my desk in my bedroom with files and paperwork scattered everywhere.

With a groan of annoyance, I stood from the desk chair and pushed it back under the desk before finding my phone on my bed.

It was work. I answered it and was met with the voice of the lady who works at the front desk of the institute.

"The institution is on lockdown today, please don't come in until further notice. Things will be back to normal soon and there is nothing to worry about." She explained briefly before the call was cut short and she suddenly hung up.

The woman had sounded worried so she didn't really sell her case well. There was shouting and doors slamming in the background with what sounded like police sirens going off.

I got dressed as usual, had a shower and ate breakfast before feeding my dog. He was a collie cross lab with a beautiful black coat of fur. His name was Jasper, had him for about ten years now. Sweetest thing ever.

I thought nothing much of the lockdown at the institute, assuming it was just another deep clean or authority visit that happened every other year.

A small knock at the door pulled me from the film I was deeply invested in and I stood to answer it. First, I looked through the peep hole. No one was there.

I screwed my brows before opening the door and poking my head out, looking either way down the corridor. Still no one.

Without another thought about, brushing it off as some kids messing around, I closed the door again and got comfortable on my sofa once more.

Jasper ran over, curling up beside me and eventually fell asleep with light snores. He barked in his sleep as he dreamt of who knows what and his tail occasionally wagged.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

A few hours later and it was now around lunchtime and I had decided to go out for some food. There was a lovely little cafe not far from my place but also not far from the institute which I had to pass on the way there.

As I neared the large building, I drove my car slowly as I passed police cars and black SUVs parked outside. I parked my car and got out before heading towards the building where my boss and Claire stood.

"Claire, what's going on?" I asked her, still looking around at the police that were asking questions and going in and out of the building.

Claire snapped her head to look at me. She was a little shorter than I was so she was forced to look up. "You didn't hear?" She queried, panic flowing through her eyes.

"No." I shook my head, now looking back at her.

It was only then I took note of how worried everyone appeared. The police were reassuring the public that had gathered and were asking questions and Doctors paced back a forth. Claire was breathing heavily, her chest heaving up and down as she wiped her sweaty hands down her coat.

Claire then spoke again. "Daniel Butcher is missing."

________________________________

A/N: okay, I promise the BAU will be introduced soon just stick with me :)