Chapter twenty-four//Gunshots

AND THEN ANOTHER,AND ANOTHER, AND ANOTHER

...AND THEN ANOTHER,AND ANOTHER, AND ANOTHER.

Time had slowed for everyone in the room, but especially Lillia.

Gunshots rapid fired. Her eyes had screwed tightly shut, her head turning away and hiding into her shoulder with tears staining her shirt. Blood splattered over the bed and Davis' skin, leaving red on her face and her clothes.

The team had been pushed out of the way and forced to watch what was going down.

Spencer felt frozen to the spot. No matter how badly he wanted to run to Lillia or shout for the gunshots to seize, he couldn't. No one could stop what was happening, they simply just had to wait for it to finally end.

And it did, thankfully.

The room fell deadly silent, no one quite knowing what to say. What was there to say? All anyone could do was stare blankly and the massacre of a single man on the floor.

Apart from Lillia who hadn't yet opened her eyes, too scared to face the bullet holes she swore she had felt carve into her body.

Reluctantly, she did and immediately looked at her torso, seeing it still completely intact. That left a sinking feeling in her stomach as she knew someone had been shot to death and, if it wasn't her...

She dreadfully looked up with a hand clenching her stomach. It wasn't hard to miss the pool of blood flooding the floorboards and, despite not being able to see the body, Davis knew who the blood had belonged to and, surprisingly to her, it didn't make her cry.

Lillia had often thought about Daniel's death ever since the BAU had arrived and he was announced missing. She had dreaded it and prayed it wouldn't happen, at least not like this. But the idea of crying barely crossed her mind as she watched the blood soak through the cracks in the floor.

Eventually, Spencer's head lifted to look at Lillia who was a statue on the bed. He rushed over, placing a cold hand cautiously against her cheek. She flinched slightly but, as soon as her eyes met his, she melted into his palm and rested her forehead to his.

First, her eyes fluttered close and the feeling of being safe again. Then, Spencer's shut after seeing her calm down and become somewhat content for a moment.

The handcuffs were soon removed and Spencer and Emily protectively lead Lillia out of the house and to the SUV where JJ would be.

The road in front of the house was still covered in news reporters with mics and cameras. JJ was trying to do her best to keep them tamed but was struggling.

As Lillia Davis exited the old, pain-filled house, the reporters became more crazed and ecstatic, bursting to get first comment for their story.

JJ jogged to meet the three of them, removing her jacket as she got closer before placing it over Lillia's head as she helped create a path with some other cops.