Chapter twenty-three//Mix of Emotions

WITH DEATH STARING HER RIGHT IN THE EYES, Doctor Lillia Davis internally prayed the team had heard the rattle of the handcuffs against the bed frame

Hotch, as he listened, looked at each member of his team. First, he noticed the determined and concentrated expression on Derek Morgan who seemed ready to storm in and take down the bastard.

Then he looked to Emily Prentiss. Her eyes were focused and her ears were practically twitching at every sound from inside the bedroom.

Thirdly, he looked to David Rossi who looked right back at him with a nod, saying he was ready for whatever order Hotch was going to give.

Lastly, he looked at the youngest member of the team. Hotch had never seen Spencer Reid quite so ready to step into danger. He knew of the relationship between the two Doctors and, although he worried it would disrupt the case, he understood Reid's care for Lillia and knew it wasn't going to fade anytime soon.

Hotchner then gave the stern nod, sending Morgan in first with a kick to the bedroom door. It fell in easily, landing with a thud, from how old it must've been.

Lillia's head snapped over in their direction, her eyes staring at Reid who looked almost as scared as her.

Daniel also turned to meet the faces of the agents although he was more fuelled by aggression.

"Don't!" Daniel shouted, aiming his gun at Morgan who stood at the front. "Please," he whispered, turning his head over his shoulder but keeping his eyes to the floor. "Don't come any closer."

Lillia's attention had moved back to her kidnapper. Her eyes flashed between him and the empty space he glanced back at. The Doctor's mind ran with thoughts.

Daniel Butcher muttered to himself, not loud enough for anyone else to hear but they noticed his lips move.

Suddenly, he looked forward again. He shakily moved his hand that held the gun, pointing it back at Lillia. All colour left Spencer's face as he now saw the woman he deeply cared for face off with death right in front of him.

"Daniel," Hotch started. "Lower your weapon."

Daniel shook his head rapidly. "No! No, I can't. She can't leave! Please, go." He practically begged the agents but they weren't budging.

"Daniel..." Morgan's voiced warned but, before he could say anything more, Lillia Davis' weak voice spoke.

"He's not there." She said, her voice breaking from being so dry and sore. Lillia gently shook her head. "He's not there, Daniel."

There was a short silence before Daniel shouted, "shut up! Everybody, shut up!" The gun shook in his hand which made Davis flinch and cower further into the bed.

A tear fell down Daniel's face and Lillia was the only one to notice. She sat up hesitantly, expressions of concern sent her way from the BAU. "Take these handcuffs off and I'll show you he can't hurt you." She calmly spoke to her patient.

Doctor Lillia Davis knew what was going on. She had pieced it all together from the couple of hours she'd been trapped with Daniel and the tears of observing him.

Daniel was a schizophrenic, she already knew of that. But she'd only now guessed who he heard, who the voice that rang through his head now and then was.

"Daniel, your father is gone. He can't hurt you anymore." She tried to reassure the delusional man at the end of the bed but it was proving to be zero luck.

"Charlotte, stop!" Daniel raised his voice, strength in this grip on the gun.

"Put the gun down!" Hotch ordered him, his tone more demanding and loud this time.

Daniel, tight-lipped, shook his head. "I can't." He whispered. His eyes welled up as he looked at the Doctor he'd known for however many years now. "I wish I could, but I can't."

He cocked the gun and precisely aimed it at Lillia's chest. Her eyes grew in fear and her breathing picked up with her chest heaving up and down.

Spencer exclaimed a 'No' in a sudden cry of terror and, rather suddenly and catching everyone off guard, a gun shot fired...

________________________________

A/N: I promise, I will wrap this bit up in the next chapter but I couldn't help but leave it there :)