(89)

Epilogue, Two Years Later

DRAYTON

Lucas was the first one to find his forever woman, but the last one to get hitched. Nevertheless, I was proud of the kid.

For a short period of time, I thought he might have malfunctioned and somehow become this little man whore that I did not raise him to be. But he came through and I couldn't imagine him spending his life with anyone else but Mills. She was his twin flame.

He tied the knot on Abby and Roman's farm. The place had been decked out with floral arrangements, rustic decor, and volunteer staff who were catering and decorating.

The ceremony was beautiful and the vows were as inappropriate as one expected them to be. We'd gathered in one of the barns for the reception and the party was just beginning.

Abby and Roman were well into running their equine therapy program and it was gaining recognition as one of the most effective establishments in the state. My princess was thriving in this world she'd created with her husband and I'd never seen her more herself than she is now.

Part of me thought she'd cling to the modelling life, desperate to make it work because she'd spent most of her life striving for that sort of accomplishment. While I'd always supported her, never bad mouthing that world to her face or diminishing her dreams, there was this imbalance in her walk.

Not a literal walk, the journey, the path she was on. She was this little fish in a big sea and even though she swam against a fierce current, determined to make her way, I knew there were cleaner waters out there for her.

I held onto hope that she'd find her true calling sooner rather than later.

Sometimes I could fucking weep at how far she's come. She's so proud of her work and the people she helps. Roman loves her too. He loves her so much that sometimes I see Dallas and myself in them.

A father couldn't ask for more. It didn't take long for them to tie the knot. Which didn't surprise me one bit. Roman asked me for permission and there wasn't a doubt in my mind that he would care for her, for the rest of his life.

"Pop pop?"

Eliana, Max and Amalia's little girl, my first grandchild, called out for me as Dallas walked across the room with Eliana on her hip. She was almost one and couldn't speak a whole lot, but she had a few words down.

She was beautiful, so beautiful. A full head of dark brown curls, big brown doe eyes, and that Lahey nose. She was the perfect mix of her mother and father. 

"There's pop pop," Dallas nuzzled into her cheek and smiled at Eliana's excited giggle. "She wouldn't stop saying pop pop, pop pop, pop pop. I gave Amalia a break and told her we'd watch her so she can hang out with the girls."

"Good," I took Eliana from Dallas and kissed her cheek. "You stick with me, El. We'll cause some trouble. Should we cause some trouble? You're not too young for a vodka, right?"

Dallas curled herself into my side and stared at our granddaughter. Damn, it blew my mind sometimes. It felt like we were teenagers last week, falling in love, getting into trouble, adventuring, and planning the rest of our lives together.

Now we were here. The last of our children getting married, a granddaughter, and two more on the way. There wasn't one thing I would do differently if I had the chance to re write our pages.

Amalia and Max weren't wasting time. She was pregnant again. This time, with twin girls. Across the dancefloor, talking with Abby and Flynn's girlfriend, Min, she rested a hand on her enormous stomach.