(13)

Max and Kyla slid into the back seat, mom and I turned around, watching them fasten their belts.

"Thanks for getting us," Max said.

Mom gave a quick nod. "Hey, Kyla. It's good to see you."

"Hey Mrs Lahey," she smiled and her red cheeks swelled.

Kyla was always beautiful. She used to be slim with small features and gorgeous brown eyes. I was never attracted to her but I could appreciate how stunning she was. She still is. There's just a lot more of her to appreciate now.

"Hey Lucas," she said. "How are you?"

"Fantastic. You?"

"I'm good."

"Is it alright she's here?" Max asked Mom. He seemed tense. Something was off. "She's come to visit for a bit."

"Of course," mom said.

"Sorry to spring it on you, Mrs Lahey," she apologised as Mom started the car. "It was sort of last minute."

"I know we haven't seen each other in a while," Mom peered in the rear view mirror. "But you can call me Dallas, honey."

I was still turned in my seat, watching both of them with bewilderment. It was so unexpected and while I passed no judgement on bigger girls, Max hadn't said a word. I guess I hadn't asked much about her though.

I was however, very interested to know what was going on with Max. I knew him as if he was an extension of me and I knew something was bothering him.

"Mom," Max said. "Can we have dinner tonight? Like all of us. We can get Chinese or something?"

"Yeah, we can do that. You might have some trouble getting Abby down from her room though. She's in a foul mood this afternoon."

I arched a brow and gave her a side on glance. "Did she happen to say why?"

"What did you do?" Mom sighed. "You just have to press her damn buttons—"

"I didn't do shit," I interrupted in defence. "She's probably excreting her womb lining or something. Sheesh."

She rolled her eyes but didn't comment further. I suppose her assumption wasn't unfair. Putting Abby in a bad mood was something I had a special skill set in.

But this time, I was the one on the hunt for who had upset her. Because I was almost certain Tanner had something to do with it and if it was more than just a lovers quarrel, then I would damage the fuck out of him.

We arrived at home and Dad was lounged beside the pool with some old school Eminem bop jamming on the Bluetooth speaker.

It was a miracle he didn't comment on Kyla's weight gain. Not because he was judgemental, but just because he didn't filter most of his thoughts and I'd expected him to make some lighthearted remark in good humour. Mom was relieved he didn't.

Abby still hadn't emerged from her room. Dad also seemed to believe I must have had something to do with it.

Once again, I had to defend myself and assure him it wasn't me. That was when he began spouting his own threats about murdering whoever had hurt his baby girl.

I don't think that he realised how close he was to hitting the nail on the head. His threats were genuine. But there was something non committal about his deliverance.

As if he couldn't believe someone could hurt her. It was hard to imagine, she's hard headed.

But she wants an epic love, which means she can feel epic hurt.