(10)

Amalia and I left Ingrid's before Abby did. But if she thought I was going to disappear and let her leave with Tanner, then she had another thing coming.

Flynn objected to keeping a watch on her for a while. But I managed to talk him into making sure she didn't sneak off into a bedroom with him.

Before I left, I found Tanner's slammed pick up beside the curb and jabbed a knife from Ingrid's kitchen into his wheel.

Flynn would have to drive the girls home and if he wanted to chauffeur Tanner as well, then that was his choice. But at least I knew Abby would go to Milly's like she said she would.

She'd figure out what I'd done, but as long as it served in prolonging the two of them being alone together, then I didn't care.

He gave me a bad vibe. All over. I didn't trust him. It seemed irrational because I didn't know him. But what I did know, was he was off.

Amalia and I snuck into the house at around midnight. The ground floor was dark. The lights were out and the windows were closed.

Amalia toed her shoes off while she leaned on the wall. The door clicked shut but it was quiet enough that Mom and Dad wouldn't hear it.

We stood there for a moment while I thought about what we should do. We could surpass the staircase and hang out in the rec room. Or we could go straight upstairs and get into bed. I didn't want to seem suggestive but I was keen to lie down.

Fuck it, I thought and laced her fingers with mine, heading for the staircase.

I'd had girls sleep over before but I snuck them in and out before Mom and Dad found out. It wasn't that I would get berated for it, but I also didn't want to risk them suggesting that Amalia should not spend the night.

I also didn't want to risk the embarrassing talk that Dad would give me in front of her. If it so happened that she met them in the morning, well, I could deal with that.

We stepped on to the second floor and I felt the blood drain from my face when I heard the sounds coming from Mom and Dad's room.

"No," I quietly groaned. "No no no."

Amalia's wide eyed scandalous expression was just decipherable in the dark and I contemplated throwing myself off over the banister.

I squeezed her hand and pulled to my bedroom as fast as I could. The audible moaning became quieter and then was silenced when I pushed Amalia inside and shut the door.

The curtains were still open and the room was mildly illuminated with a soft blue glow. I couldn't even look at Amalia. It was so fucking embarrassing that she just heard my parents fucking boning!

I kicked my shoes off and stormed over to the French doors to shut the curtains. The less embarrassment she could detect in my expression, the better.

She cleared her throat and I reluctantly turned around to see her switching the lamp on beside my bed. A dim light allowed me to see her soft smile. "Living their best life huh?"

I tipped my head back and groaned. "Ruining mine more like it."

"It's kind of sweet. At least they're still in love."