(11)

"I know that it looks bad," I pointed at the television screen which played the TMZ video on repeat. "But— Reece started it."

Dad looked at Amalia. "Is this Reece?"

"No this is Amalia," I laced our fingers together. "She just slept over last night. So I could take her with me to the tattoo parlour this morning."

Mom stared down at our joined hands and smiled. She looked as if she was about to get up and introduce herself but Dad wasn't done it would seem.

"Well explain what happened because you do realise your actions display poorly on your mother and I, right?" He leaned against the countertop and folded his arms. "What are people going to think if it looks like we let our kids go off to house parties, drink and get into fights. We let you go out because you usually keep your shit together. Am I going to have to fake putting you in rehab?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Reece kicked off. Abby was ignoring her but she wouldn't drop it. So I stepped in and tried to split it up—"

"Where is Abby?" Dad interrupted, standing up straighter.

"She slept over at Milly's last night," I assured him before he panicked.

"Well why didn't she text us?"

"Oh she did," Mom looked at him and adjusted the shoulder straps of her tank top. "Yeah she sent me a text."

"Of course," he stared at his wife with exasperation. "Mom who lets her do whatever she wants."

"What are you starting with me for? She was at Milly's. Where is the issue?"

"Because how do we know that she was at Milly's. She's been talking about some kid at school she's been spending time with. Don't you remember what you were like at her age?!"

I pointed at Dad in agreement. "He makes a good point," I said. "But Flynn dropped the girls off. I made sure he kept an eye on her."

"Flynn is such a good kid," Dad seemed pleased with the information.

"Dad, can you put some clothes on?"

He stared at me as if I hadn't spoken English. "Is this not my house? Do I not pay the bills? Before you were born, I used to walk around butt naked. Count your blessings I didn't raise you all in a nudist household."

Mom stared down at her tea and giggled. These two would have been insufferable to be around as teenagers.

"Okay fine but we have a guest so cover up old man."

"Amalia," he came around and stood in front of us, offering his hand. She politely shook it. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Drayton and this is Dallas."

Mom stood beside him, looking excited.

"It's nice to meet you both," Amalia nodded with a genuine smile. "Lucas has told me a lot of good things about both of you."

"Mhmm. Sure he has," Dad gave me a suspicious glare.

Mom sighed. "You are so beautiful," she told Amalia.

"Oh, thank you."

Dad gave me a light slap on the shoulder. "Ya know, I think it's great you haven't let Lucas' condition deter you from spending time with him."