(68)

On Wednesday morning, Flynn, Amalia and I wandered into the Delgado home and inhaled a deep breath. The aroma of fresh baking and spice floated through the air. It was so exquisite that for a moment, the thought of eating food high in carbs didn't make me nauseous.

"Kiara's been baking," Amalia smiled, peering over her shoulder. "It astounds me that she finds the time to be honest. But I think she gets up at like five in the morning and does it before she goes to work."

"Kiara?" Flynn whispered beside me as we followed Amalia down the corridor.

"Elias' girlfriend. Marnie's sister."

"Marnie is Max's friend from his old job, right?"

"Bingo," I smiled and held his hand.

"Small world," he chuckled to himself.

I couldn't help but watch as he peered around at all of the colour on the walls and unique decor that gave this house its character. Flynn was raised in an Asian home where there was a lot of tradition in the interior design. He had a great appreciation for cultural living.

When the three of us wandered into Bernie's bedroom, we were greeted with the sound of uncontrollable laughter. She was on her bed, still dressed in her pyjama shorts and a cami. But she wasn't alone. Next to her, holding a phone above both of their faces, was a girl with natural blonde hair falling in soft waves around her porcelain face.

And I mean, porcelain. She had the features of a doll. She was pale. Skin smooth to the point that it looked airbrushed and a dusting of natural blush gave her some colour. She was gorgeous. And a little heavier. Her thighs and hips were wide but wow it didn't mean that she didn't have a seriously gorgeous figure. How was it that I could see a size ten girl and see nothing but beauty, but not when it came to me?

Toxic.

"Oh," Bernie sat up and so did the girl. "Hola. You're earlier than I thought you'd be. Never mind. Hello, hello. Oh hello Flynn. I've heard lots about you. Well, not lots. But I used to follow Lucas. So I know who you are. I don't follow him anymore. Sometimes I just leave mean comments on his photos."

The blonde girl giggled and looked full of guilt. Like she too was in on the mean comments.

"Nattie," Amalia sounded playfully accusing as she wandered in and started admiring a new dress on the cloth mannequin. "Aren't you meant to be at school?"

"Yes," she blushed and it made her pale complexion burst into flames.

"If I'm allowed to skip," Bernie stood up and started pulling her long dark hair into a ponytail. "Then she's allowed to skip. I mean, she's not skipping for long though."

"Yeah I should go," Nattie scooted off the bed and started searching the floor. She found her shoes and sat down so that she could pull them on. "It was nice to meet you."

It took me a moment before I realised that she was talking to me. Her cheeks were emblazoned red and she jittered. I didn't feel the need to point out that we hadn't met at all. She seemed nervous enough as it was. The sort of reaction that came from someone recognising me. I was used to it in the sense that it had been happening my entire life. But it never failed to make me feel strange. Like it was weird to be fawned over.

"Oh," I smiled. "You too. I'm Abby by the way."

"I know. I'm—"

"She's a huge fan," Bernie squealed and spun in a circle. For what reason, I'm not sure. But it was cute. "I might have told her to be here so that she could see you in person."