(46)

On Wednesday, I had plans to take Amalia out for dinner.

If she wasn't at the parlour, she'd been cooped up at home with her sister. Who was now better.

But my girl needed a change of scenery and an evening out. She was meeting me at Delgado's at closing time and I couldn't wait to see her again.

Amalia loved the coffee from the street cart that set up shop a few stores down, so I got her an ice latte and went back to the gallery to wait.

I'd barely put the coffee down on the counter when the door opened and closed, letting in a chill.

I turned around and found Marnie standing there with her black coat and scarf on. She must have just come from work because she was wearing her usual pencil skirt and charcoal blouse underneath the coat.

"Thought I'd come and see what stole you from our serene work environment," she pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose and peered around. "Can't imagine why this place holds appeal over our tiny cubicle that lacks natural lighting, smells like body odour and has people like Thomas on the loose."

"You sound a bit jealous," I laughed.

I knew that she was thinking about the fact I got to work in a bright open space with no one else around me apart from customers.

She lightly laughed, which shocked the hell out of me. I didn't react though. "No suit and tie huh?"

The benefit of working in a more casual environment, was more casual clothing. Today it was a grey long sleeve V neck, fitted black jeans with shreds and timbs.

"I don't mind a suit and tie but this is definitely better."

"I'm going to buy a painting."

I blinked. "Uh, alright. What painting?"

"I don't know," she started to wander around with her chin in her hand, calculating the art work on the walls. "Something that isn't on display. Something that has never been seen to the public."

"Elias is a brilliant painter," I stood next to her. "But he's not Picasso. Relax."

She stared up at me with a no nonsense expression. "Never. Been. Seen."

She was an odd individual. But I sighed and turned around to head out back.

When I pushed open the office door, my mouth fell open and I stared in disbelief because Kiara - Marnie's sister - was sitting on the edge of the desk in nothing but her bra and underwear.

"What the f—"

"Max?!" She stood up straight, panic all over her face. She tried to cover up but it was futile. "Wha—"

"What's—"

"I didn't know you'd be here."

I kept my eyes above her shoulders but my head was in a shambles. "You're not here for me, right?"

Her eyes bulged. "No! Oh my goodness. No. No. No. I'm so sorry. I tho—"

The door swung open further and I turned around to find Elias behind me.

He looked at Kiara and then he looked at me and his face turned red. "What the fuck is going on in here?! What are you doing with her?!"

I stammered over my words. "I— she— I'm—"

"Elias—" Kiara looked like she was going to pass out with panic.

Marnie poked her head through the door.