(7)

Streetlights cast over the windshield as I drove across town in the middle of the night. Mike Shinoda came through the sound system and I mumbled along to the Blackbear collaboration- About You

Amalia lived about a half hour from me. The sidewalks were illuminated with the burnt yellow glow of street lamps and in the center of town, people were walking, gathered outside of establishments, talking, smoking. It was a usual Friday night.

Max would be en route to the airport. He had a flight on the jet to see his girlfriend for the weekend. Mom and Dad had attempted to talk me into driving him there. As if it was on the way and not in the entirely opposite direction. We'd argued about it for a while, I won and then that argument rolled into one about me using Dad's motorcycle for the night.

"Hell fucking no!" Dad had shouted. "You have a massive ass Range Rover in the garage. Drive that."

"Just let me use it. For a couple of hours."

"You're going to see a girl," he'd snorted. "You don't get cool points when you crash it and kill her dumbass."

"Why would I crash it?! I can drive a bike fine."

"Too bad. You don't have a license and I'm not being responsible for giving an unlicensed kid a motorcycle and letting him drive his girlfriend around on it. If something happens, that's on me. No chance."

"You used to let mom drive your bike when she didn't have a license."

"Why do I tell you kids stuff?"

"See."

"Yeah well I was an idiot. And she was too. Ya live and learn."

That had been the end of the conversation. Stubborn ass. I followed the GPS and ended up in a suburban neighborhood. Solar lights lined footpaths. Shutters bordered the windows. Rooftops peaked and wrap around porches held swing seats and rocking chairs.

I slowed the car in front of the address Amalia messaged me and glanced out of the window at the two story home. It was nice, well kept with neat gardens and enormous urns that were painted bright with intricate patterns in reds and greens lined the porch. I killed the engine and pulled my phone out of the handsfree case on the dash before I jumped out of the car.

Nerves kept a spring in my step as I slipped my phone into my pocket and walked up the front path. I could have sent her a text to let her know I was here. But that might have seemed rude if her Dad happened to peer out of his front window and seen me sitting around like a shmuck waiting for his daughter. The whole 'meeting the parent' ordeal was exaggerated in my opinion. People didn't need to put so much emphasis on it being some extreme milestone.

Besides, it wasn't like we'd be sitting down to have a meal and discuss the intentions that I had for his daughter. I pressed the doorbell and winced, well I hoped we wouldn't be. Even I didn't know what my intentions were right now. 

I had to turn a new leaf or she'd end up losing interest and looking for someone else who was capable of commitment. 

That meant no more flirting with Milly. Fuck. 

That would be a hard habit to break. 

The door opened and Amalia stood in front of me with her hair down in loose waves that curtained her toned arms. She wore a pair of shorts, a tight tank top and white canvas shoes. 

"You look so—" my sentence caught in my throat as a staunch man walked into sight. "Beautiful. You look beautiful," I finished with a quick nod.

Beautiful is a better compliment than 'so hot I have a hard on already.' 

Mom lectured Max and I all the time on the etiquette of how to talk to woman. I paid fuck all attention but I was digging up the ole chivalry folder before I put my foot in it. Amalia subtly rolled her eyes as the silver bearded man began to gesture me inside.