53.Blue is the Warmest Colour

Language: French

Language: French

I have very mixed feelings about this film. The movie is a mix of best and worst elements of queer cinema and I don't know how to feel about it. But one thing I'm sure about is that it will leave a deep impression on you.

I felt the whole movie was through the lenses of a cishet man (which it was) and I hated how it exhibited so many problematic and exploitative stereotypes of the lgbt community.

Whether it be Emma's relationship with a way underaged Adele or the extremely biphobic stereotype of the bisexual cheating on her female partner with another man or the graphic sex scenes made to cater the mainly to the male audience (even though women may enjoy it too) made everything extremely toxic to me.

But despite all that the movie was a one of a kind experience for me. Adele and Emma's relationship tho predatory, was very passionate and they had a wonderful chemistry with each other. I loved how Adele's journey of exploring her identity was symbolised through the color blue.

The ending was bittersweet but very practical and realistic. Usually I would have been sad that the main leads didn't end up with each other but this time I felt that this was how it was supposed to be.