Chapter 37

A week later, leading up to the final days in October, Jax was excited as he hammered the last nail into the special project he'd been working on for close to a month now. He straightened and took a few steps back to admire his work and smiled.

"What do you think, buddy?"

Otto barked next to him and Jax leaned down and scratched its head.
"Yea, I think so too."

He glanced at Otto and back at his work.
"C'mon, let's go get her."

He walked down the beach towards his place. He was excited for what was to come.

Lillian waited for Jax after her shift at Mindy's. He'd showed up at her place that morning and insisted on dropping her off and picking her up when he came by for lunch. He'd told her he'd be a little bit late for lunch and asked her to wait so they could have lunch together. She wondered what was going on with him.

She looked up when the bell at Mindy's rang as someone walked in and she smiled when she laid eyes on him, as did he.

Jax approached her, staying on the customer side of the counter.
"Hey."

"Hey."

They were both leaning on the counter, looking at each other and smiling. Mindy saw them and shook her head with a smile before approaching them.
"How about you both get a table and I'll bring your lunch over."

Lillian looked at her and nodded before going around the counter and got a table with Jax sitting across from her. Jax reached for her hand on top of the table and held it in his. Neither of them could stop smiling.

"So, what have you been up to?" Lillian asked,

"You'll find out soon enough."

Lillian narrowed her eyes at him, suspiciously.
"How soon is soon enough?"

"After lunch."

Lillian smiled.
"Good."

"Here you go." Mindy said as she placed their plates in front of them.

"Thanks, Mindy." They both said,

"Enjoy," Mindy said, smiling before she left them alone.

After lunch, Jax drove back to his place with Lillian's hand in his and Otto between them, his head on Lillian's lap as she scratched its head with her other hand.

Jax pulled up at his place a few moments later and turned off the engine and turned to her with a smile.
"C'mon."

Lillian smiled and got out of the truck with Otto, as did Jax. They met in front of his truck and Jax reached for her hand without thought. They walked hand-in-hand to the ocean and down the beach towards her place.

"Remember the night I found you there?" Jax said as they approached the spot.

"Of course." Lillian said with a sigh, "Not only did I sprain my ankle but my ego was bruised."

"Hey, I was glad I could help. In fact, I think that was the night I knew I wanted to get to know everything about you."

Lillian glanced at him with a smile.

"Well, I know how much you love coming here and just listening to the waves, especially in the evenings." Jax said, "And not that I mind you coming over to my place just for that but I thought it'd be nice if you could come here anytime without having to come all the way to my place."

"But I can't." Lillian said, "It's..."

"I fixed that." Jax gestured with his head in the direction of her place.