Darling

"I'll see you in the morning." Wilbur whispered, leaning in to kiss her goodnight. Her lips nearly jumped from his touch, leaning in just as he pulled away. 

He made his way down the stairs quickly, turning off the lamp at the base before falling onto his couch. As he shoved all the throw pillows onto the floor, he thought about how badly he wanted to stay in his bed with her, to hold her throughout the night, keeping her warm. 

Wilbur couldn't even comprehend how he felt. Protective was maybe a good way to word it? He never wanted her to feel as alone she must've the previous night ever again, as long as she would let him. 

He closed his eyes, sleep soon approaching. On days like today where he spent the majority sulking around, he always became increasingly exhausted at night. It was as if a day of nothing was just as, if not more, tiresome than a productive day. 

-

The room was completely dark around him, only stray lights from the city outside providing any guidance through the night's shadows. Something was different than when he first fell asleep. Wilbur tried to sit up, quickly realizing Rori was laid in front of him, her back laid against him. He froze, waiting for a sign she hadn't woken up before returning to his previous position. 

How long had she been there? He squinted his eyes as he read the small green numbers on the stove across the room, 2:49am. He didn't even recall falling asleep, let alone her joining him on the couch. Regardless, he welcomed the company, wrapping his other arm around her as well. 

The soft floral smell from her hair was like a drug to him, lighting his brain with serotonin every time he smelled it. He soon returned to sleep, his heart feeling full knowing that she wanted to fall asleep with him as badly as he wanted to with her. If only this were real. If only it weren't a dream.

The room was much brighter now, the familiar annoyance of cars honking on the streets echoing through his flat's walls. Why did he want to move into the heart of the city again? He reached over, grabbing a pillow he had thrown on the ground the night before, pushing it to his face in a vain attempt to drown out the noise below. 

He wanted to go back to his dream. It was more real than any dream he had ever had. Wilbur could smell her hair, feel the weight of her head against his chest, the warmth between their bodies, everything. Waking up alone was just his reminder that she was probably still sound asleep upstairs. 

A light giggle from behind him grabbed his attention. He popped his head over the arm rest on the sofa, finding Rori standing in his kitchen. Lifting his head brought the aromas of coffee and sweet breakfast pastries to him. Whatever she was making smelled amazing. 

"Good morning to you too." She laughed, turning her attention back to the stove. Wilbur stood from the couch slowly, beginning to question if it was a dream after all. 

"Trying to burn down my flat too?" Wilbur mumbled, kicking a few pillows on the ground to the side as he made his way to the kitchen. Rori didn't answer, her attention on the pancake she was flipping. Wilbur stood behind her, instinctively wrapping his arms around her shoulders, his chin finding it's way to the top of her head.

She seemed to accept the gesture, leaning her head back to look up at him with her signature heart stealing smile. Seas of ivory teeth flashed up to him, parted by her sweet kissable lips. He wanted to lean down and kiss her then, but he held back, afraid of moving things too quickly for her. 

"I asked if you were trying to burn down my flat too." Wilbur smiled back to her. She rebutted with a bump against his chest and an empty threat about eating all the pancakes herself. As they continued to talk over the stove, Wilbur found himself swaying to an imaginary melody. How had a random weekday turned into a perfect Sunday morning?