Chapter 4

Grace, under Sally's guidance, arrived at the secret garden once she was ready to leave

Grace, under Sally's guidance, arrived at the secret garden once she was ready to leave. Warily, Grace stepped into the thick, white ground which had half melted after last night's falling snow. As the maid followed her, the snow left deep yet soft marks on the ground. Sally faintly smiled and marveled at the squeaky sound each step made.

"Is this your first time seeing so much snow?"

Grace responded with a nod, "Yes, Alberton Castle is close to the capital, so it's warm even in winter."

In the capital, a thin coat suffused in mid-winter, but here, thick coats, woolly mufflers and fur shoes were still not enough to save one from cold.

The air entering her lungs was so dry that Grace breathed heavily as she walked around.

Sally smiled to herself, thinking that Grace looked less like a new duchess and more like a puppy who'd seen snow for the first time.

And then Grace's cheeks caught her eye,

"Oh, my God, your cheeks are red with cold."

"Is that so?"

"If you stay like this, you might catch a cold. I think you should go inside.

"......oh, I'd like to take a walk a little longer. Can't I?"

'It's never been this peaceful since I returned from death. It's not worth calling it off because of a mere cold.' With this in mind, Grace expressed her reluctance, and Sally sighed,

"Very well, I'll bring you some warm tea then, Madam."

"Oh, good."

"Please sit on the bench and I'll be back in a minute!" Sally said as she scuttled toward the mansion.

Grace, sitting on a clean-eyed bench, muttered, "....you can take your time."

Then, she reached over to the tree and picked up a handful of falling snow. When Sally came around, she put up with it to protect her dignity, but she actually wished to see it directly like this.

Grace was clumping the snow in her hand like a ball until,

Crunch.

A vaguely distinct sound came from behind.

She wondered if she heard it wrong, so she froze for a moment and concentrated all her nerves on her ears.

Crunch. Crunch.

This time, it was quicker but almost inaudible.

Hearing this, Grace slid up from the bench. Then on her tippy toes, she walked towards the sound. After all, she was certainly curious on finding out who made the sound.