Chapter 7: Book Of Dragons

[Scene cuts to the Meade Hall.]

Everyone was shocked that Hiccup is safe back to the village. But, for how long?

Gobber (o.s.): Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?

Astrid: I mistimed my somersault dive. It was sloppy. It threw off my reverse tumble.

Ruffnut: (Sarcastically) Yeah, we noticed.

Snotlout: No, no, you were great. That was so "Astrid".

This ended up another sandbag on the knucklehead.

Snotlout: Ugh! Why me?!

Gobber: She's right, you have to be tough on yourselves. Where did Hiccup go wrong?

Ruffnut: Uh, he showed up?

Tuffnut: He didn't get eaten.

Astrid: He's never where he should be.

Astrid: Sorry, Hiccup.

Hiccup rubs her back in comfort.

Gobber: Thank you, Astrid. You need to live and breathe this stuff. The Dragon Manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of.

[Thunder roars.]

Gobber (cont.): No attacks tonight. Study up.

Malissa: That's it? You let them read the book themselves?! You do realize that they won't read it for their attitude!

Gobber then blushed in embarrassment.

Tuffnut: Wait, you mean, read?

Ruffnut: While we're still alive?

Sugar Plum Cookie: Why would you ask like that?

Snotlout: Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?

Fishlegs: Oh! I've read it like, seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And--And there's this other one that buries itself for like a week--

Clarity shook her head for Fishlegs' babbling.

Tuffnut: Yeah, that sounds great. See, there was a chance I was going to read that...

Ruffnut: ...But, now...

Snotlout: You guys read, I'll go kill stuff.

Fishlegs: Oh, and there's this other one that has these spines that look like trees...

Hiccup: So I guess we'll share?

Astrid: Read it.

Astrid flinched but Hiccup hugs her.

[The teens leave Hiccup alone in the hall.]

Hiccup: All mine then. Wow, okay. So, I'll see you, uh...

[The door slams.]

Hiccup (cont.): Tomorrow.

[He flips open the book, reading its contents.]

Everyone was confused about why Hiccup was still up late.

Hiccup: Dragon classifications. Strike Class, Fear Class, Mystery Class.

The dragons tilt their heads in curiosity.

Hiccup (cont.): Thunderdrum: This reclusive dragon inhabits sea caves and dark tide pools. When startled, the Thunderdrum produces a concussive sound that can kill a man at close range. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight.

Everyone from the west seats flinched.

Hiccup (cont.): Timberjack: This gigantic creature has razor sharp wings that can slice through full grown trees. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight. Scauldron: Sprays scalding water at its victim. Extremely dangerous.

Everyone jumped from the lightning except Hiccup.

Hiccup (cont.): Changewing: Even newly hatched dragons can spray acid. Kill on sight. Gronckle, Zippleback, The Skrill, Boneknapper, Whispering Death. Burns its victims, buries its victims, chokes its victims, turns its victims inside-out. Extremely dangerous, extremely dangerous, kill on sight, kill on sight, kill on sight...

Gobber was now confused realized that Hiccup was looking for something.

[Hiccup flips to the Night Fury page. No picture or information is shown on the page.]

Hiccup (cont.): Night Fury: Speed, unknown. Size, unknown. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance: Hide and pray it does not find you.

One of the kids, Gustav, gave it a confused look. He took a glance at the Night Fury and only saw a big cute bat-cat instead of an unholy offspring. He sneak past his parents and went to the west side. He sits at the back until a Monstrous Nightmare approaches him. Gustav gave it a pat then it buffs smoke at him making him giggle quietly. This was now his first bond with a dragon.