Chapter 2: Something's in the Woods

Eventually exhaustion got me to sleep and the sun woke me up. When I open the door I almost knock Islwyn down the stairs. After apologizing I ask Islwyn if the others made it back.

      "His majesty came back to tell me he was going to form a search party because the others are missing. His majesty is down stairs now if you want to talk to him." I rush down stairs to find the prince, a battle worn warrior, and three sturdy looking farmers.

      "Thana," the prince says as he looks up at my face. He then excuses himself from their meeting, crosses the pub, takes me by the elbow, and leads me to the second floor landing.

      "Islwyn will escort you to our kingdom and when we find the others I will meet you there. My family will give you a place to stay and even without your kingdom you still have a tittle. Don't worry, now that it is light out and I have help we will find them in no time," the prince assures me trying and failing to hide the worry he feels.

      "Let me stay and help. It is my fault that you came over here and those missing were left behind," I plead with passion in my eyes.

      "It was my order to search the ruins and my order for them to stay behind." The prince pauses and continues, "Something is in the forest. It scared Lashay. I can't be responsible for the death of a princess."

      "And I can't let more people die because of me," I spit back with more determination.

      "Then we are at a crossroads Thana," the prince says carefully considering what I have said. Finally, he tells Islwyn who has come up the stairs after settling our fees, "Thana will help us look during the day and come back here after dinner so she can be back before dark."

      As we descend the stairs the prince asks the Bar Maid something, I could not hear, and then leaves.

      "When are we heading out," one of the farmers asks Islwyn.

      "Ya, we are wasting daylight," the old warrior adds.

      "His majesty has just left momentarily he will return shortly," Islwyn assured us.

      "Is she coming with us," the warrior asks.

      "Yes," Islwyn replies in a tone that tells them not to ask any more questions.

      After a moment the prince returned with a package in his hands.

      Handing the package to me he says, "Go upstairs and put this on," then the prince turns to the rest of the group "ready your horses we will be leaving soon."

      I hurry back to my room and change into a working woman's dress that fits perfectly and men's pants that are far too big for me.

      As I headed back down stairs I noticed that Islwyn is the only one still in the pub.

      "I am going to stay behind in case any of them make it here or if someone needs to get the doctor," Islwyn tells me because after noticing him I stopped and starred at him.

      When I finally got outside every one else was ready.

      "Where is my horse," I ask the prince.

      "You will ride with me," he replies.

      "Why can't I ride Islwyn's horse," I ask because I don't want another incident like the last time we were in the woods on the same horse.

      "Islwyn's horse is jumpy and stubborn, and I don't know if you can even ride a mellow, well behaved horse," the prince explains sounding agitated.