Chapter 7: New Faces

My hair was falling out of the neat, tidy bun Lieve put it in earlier, my face was flushed, and sweat rolled down my hairline, but I didn't care. For the first time since I understood what my death curse meant I felt weightless, free even.

      I feel like, like skipping down the halls. Maybe, finding the kitchen and smuggling some deserts into my room. Or, I could check out those passages the servants use. I wonder if I could convince Drazhan to join me?

      I can hear people, lots of people, in the main hall. They talk amounkst themselves. They fall sighlent then I can hear Drazhan speak.

      "It is truly my honor to host all of you here. Your things will be taken to your rooms. Dinner will be served in an hour and then you will be shown to your rooms. If you would like to freshen up there is a bath house just through there."

      Oh, no. I think some of the ladies saw me.

      Yup, they definitely saw me.

      How am I supposed to get to my room. Ah, what to do, what to do, where do I go?

      "Thana, over here."

      I spin around and find Lieve peeping out from yet another panel in the wall. She waves me to her before ducking back into the wall. I look around making sure none is watching me before scampering off after her.

      I was just wondering what the hidden passages looked like, and now I get to see them.

      Whoa!

      Before I could open the panel Lieve pulled me through. She was holding a candle to light the way because when the door was shut no light came through. Although there was enough air coming from somewhere that the candle burned brightly.

      The passages were like the halls except they were far darker and narrower. The stairs went in all directions and had various heights. I followed Lieve up the steepest of the stairs. It felt like I had walked two flights of stairs before we came to a landing. In stead of stopping we continued up yet another long, steep set of stairs. This set was even steeper and a little longer than the last set.

      At the top of the stairs there was a long hall. All to soon we began our decent down yet another set of long, steep stairs. I was ready for the second flight down, however, Lieve opened a panel and waved for me to follow her. I followed her out of the passage into the hall.

      It looks to be the same hall my room was attached to.

      Did we just walk over the great hall? If all of that was just to walk over the great hall I can only imagine how extensive these passages are. I would not want to be a servant here. I would almost certainly get lost in those passages, not to mention all the walking.

      Good thing I didn't try to explore them alone.

      Lieve started down the hall, and I hurried after her. She stopped at a door, it opened, and she ducked in. I followed her in to find Lettie and Yeona; ready with a new dinner dress, my silver butterfly shoes, jewels, and a crown.

*   *   *

      I hurriedly got ready and joined the rest of the group downstairs. When I got to the group I noticed that their clothes were colored. In fact the groups that they were in wore the same or similar colors. The most eye catching was a group in the front.

      Four women and one man wore almost all black. Only one of the women wore gold. While the others wore a deep red. The man that was with them wore an all black suit and had a deep red tie. All except the youngest of them looked like they knew death. However, I cannot deny that they were all the most beautiful people I have ever met.

      Drazhan appeared again and joined the group at the front. When he noticed me he smiled at me and I dashed down the stairs to join him. When I finally made it to the unusual group Drazhan began to introduce us to each other.

      "May I introduce Thana Crown Queen of Sylvain. Thana this is Laurent crown prince of Wylan,—"

      That name sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before?

      "Lilith Queen of Zephyr, Nesta Princess of Wylan, Kallistê Princess of Wylan,—"

      That is where I knew that name from. She is to be engaged to Drazhan.

      "and finally Lyssa, Kallistê's lady in waiting."

      When Drazhan had finished introducing us to each other we all did our proper bows and curtsies. Even when they smiled their eyes were cold and sharp. Nesta was different though. Her eyes sparkled with the same soft laughter that Yeona's did; and I knew that if it wasn't for the coldness of those in her group that she and I would be great friends.