Chapter 16: In the Silence

The show was over so soon. I didn't want it to end. It was nothing like I had ever seen before. I couldn't help pressing my face into the window. I was so preoccupied with the beautiful lights I didn't even notice that I opened the window. Only a crack really, but it was enough to no longer muffle the explosions.

It was only once the show ended and silence feel that I realized that the window was open and Laurent was not next to me.

"Laurent? Laurent! Are you okay? Do you need medical attention? What's wrong? Tell me what I can do."

I had never been on the other side of a fit before. It was terrifying. He writhed like mad. Not to mention the screaming. I think that was the worst part. Ear piercing screams and cries. Watching someone go through that made me feel like my heart had been torn out and stepped on.

All I could do was sit and watch. No one knew we were here. No one would be able to hear Laurent's screams from so far away and over the party. It's not like they would be able to do anything anyway. They would be just as helpless as I was.

When Laurent came to I was simultaneously half asleep and had my heart racing faster than I ever thought it could. I checked him all over and then flopped on the ground. I stayed there until I caught my breath.

"Thana! Are you alright? What happened? All I remember is watching the light show, then. What happened to you? Do you need medical attention?"

I just laughed. We had both thought the same thing. As well as him thinking I was the one who needed medical attention. So much for the cool, calculating, unreadable Laurent that he shows the world. I didn't make the wrong choice choosing to marry him. The world's Laurent has his charms, but my secret library Laurent is better than any I could ask for.

"I'm glad to see your alright, Thana. And that you think your almost giving me a heart attack is funny."

"Me? Give you a heart attack? What about you having a fit for a good hour or two? That wouldn't give me a heart attack at all."

"Two hours?!"

"More like an hour and a half really."

"We have to go. No, no, no. I am going to be in so much trouble."

"Why? Technically we are engaged."

"Not for that. For missing the announcement. I was supposed to give a speech and if I don't get there soon."

We rush out the old library, down most the stairs, and navigate passage hallway after passage hallway.

He knows these passages like Drazhan knows the woods.

When we finally make it back to the ballroom we are both utterly exhausted and out of breath. Oh, how I wish Yeona hadn't tightened my corset so tight for the ball.

"Laurent!"

"Coming Father."

I was so tired I just left. No, good nights. No, congratulations. I just left. Like that. I meant to go back to my room to sleep, but something was calling me.

It was like I had utterly no control over myself. I walked straight down the hall. My foot steps echoed through the empty halls and passages.

I'm all alone. Everyone else is at the Solstice Ball. I could go to the dark, smelly room. What is in there? What was making that stench? Why was someone trying to cover it up? And why did it smell exactly like my perfume?

Before I knew it my hand was on the door knob. It was so dark I couldn't see a thing, but I could hear.

A child's laughter.

"Thana! What are you doing here?"

Xyla grabs me and rushes us away from the door and back to the ballroom. While, I believe, reprimanding me. I can't remember what she said because all I could hear was this girl's voice in my head reciting some sort of ominous skipping rhyme.

"Mommy white swan was sweet as could be, Played the fool for these temptresses three, Innocent young swan who feel from a tree, Nanny black swan who wished to be free, Mother white swan who had a trick up her sleeve, beware young bear and listen to me, you may trick once but never all three, now take this warning and flee."