Chapter 14: Something Old

The next few days were a chore. Lettie was still bitter and rightfully so.

      Rather than being grouped with the princess. I was grouped off with the other queens to eat and entertain ourselves. Most of the time they spoke of their husbands and children.

      I was closest in age to Lilith. She was married and had a son, but he was only two and lived with his governess back in Zephyr. She spoke little of him and even less of her husband.

      Lilith was alright. She taught me to play card games and lent me money to play a few. She did not ask why I could not use my own. In fact no one asked me about Sylvain or why I was suddenly at Lisha.

      In the evenings I would go on a walk with Laurent, Drazhan, and Kallistê. On occasion Lilith would join us. Nesta would tag along with Lyssa if she wasn't to tired.

      I did not go back to the Grove or explore the hall. I did not want to expose those secrets in the day and most nights I was too tired to leave my bed.

      A few days before the Engagement party the king and queen of Wylan arrived. By then everyone knew Kallistê and Drazhan's wedding was to be announced at the solstice party. As far as I knew only the seven of us and maybe Lettie knew about Laurent and I's engagement.

      For the party I thought it would be best if I wore my house and kingdom's colors. I told Branwenn, Queen of Wylan, about my idea and she told me not to worry about the money. So, I talked to the tailor about getting a lavender ball gown and gloves. I also talked to the jeweler about getting Kunzite jewels set in bronze. When they arrived I nearly cried. It had been some time since I had seen my colors and it brought back memories of home.

      The dress's skirt was massive. The top was in the popular evening style. The jewels were simple. I had forgotten to order shoes, but a pair was brought with my dress. They were simple, however, they were comfortable, ready for a long night of dancing. All that was left was a crown. I had hoped to wear my mother's crown, but I did not see how that would be possible.

      As I was getting ready for the solstice ball there was a knock on the hidden door.

      "Are you decent?"

      It was Islwyn. I had not seen him since we parted ways upon entering Lisha.

      "Come in!" I shout with joy upon the idea of seeing my old friend.

      "I have brought you something."

      Islwyn caries a wooden box and places it on the vanity in front of me.

      It can't be this would be too perfect.

      I open it and tears roll down my face. I can't help but to cry and embrace my old friend. I am so overwhelmed I can scarcely say thank you.

      "It was nothing."

      He leaves and Lieve redoes my hair to accentuate the crown. When she is finished she takes a step back

      "Perfect. You are ready to go to your first Lisha solstice ball."

      This time I went down to the other end of the hall way. There I joined the group of Ladies waiting for the festivities to begin.

      "Thana!"

      Nesta runs down the hall and stops to catch her breath. Lyssa is not far behind.

      As always Lyssa wears the most peculiar dress. The bodice is in the popular style, but without the lace and embroidery. Her skirt on the other hand. It is big, not as big as the royals' of corse, it is big for a lady in wating's though, but what makes it so strange is the giant opening down the center. When she stood still you couldn't even tell it was there and when she walked it flared out to show the trousers she wore underneath.

      "Nesta! You know better."

      "It is quite alright, Lyssa. Nesta was happy to see me. Besides, we were all children once were we not."

      "I wasn't."

      I would feel sorry for her if she didn't give me the creeps. Luckily, Lilith and Kallistê were not far behind.

      Lilith takes Nesta and Lyssa to the front of the line. Leaving Kallistê and I to talk.

      "Are you ready for your first Lisha ball?"

      "I hope so. Are you ready to be officially engaged?"

      "Like I ever had a choice."

      She said it like it was nothing. Like she was cursed, too. I had not thought how much weight that choice I was given carried. It never crossed my mind that she would not be given the same choice.

      "I apologize. It did not cross my mind that this would be a strengthening of alliances."

      "You need not feel too sorry for me. Drazhan may not be Malach, but I still faired better than most."

      I might be mistaken, but I believe that I understand somewhat, the predetermined fate that Kallistê, and Lilith too I imagine, was dealt. They too hold the lives of their kingdoms in their hands. Their lives are just clogs stopping up conflict, and they won't be the last to be dealt such a fate.