Chapter 9: And You Are?

Against my better judgment I put my robe on, lit a candle, and snuck out into the hallway.

      The passage that Lieve took me through has to be here somewhere.

      My free hand searched the wall for any sign of a hidden door. Three doors down from my room I heard a disturbance down the hall.

      Pushing myself against the wall my hand pushed a part of the wall in. Slipping my fingers into the hole I pulled the wall out as quietly as I could and ducked in closing the door behind me. The door made a small click.

      I stood holding my breath as someone was talking on the other side of the door. I couldn't make out what they were saying. Unable to move I waited until I could no longer see the light of their candle shining under the door.

      After they left I waited several minutes before deciding to go back to my room. It was not worth the risk of getting caught or lost in the woods.

      Maybe someday I will go back, but for now it is just another comforting memory.

      I curl up under the warm covers and dream for the first time since the incident.

*   *   *

      I awoke in a tent, but I was not startled or afraid.

      I could smell salt water, horses, and sheep on the breeze that filled the room. There were hides, blankets, and carpets all over the place.

      I got dressed in the clothes lying next to me.

      They look like what one of the traveling girls I would meet in the winter would wear. Although my clothes had more adornments. I had no crown, but a cap with a veil and adornments. There were no slippers to be found; only a pair of heavy working boots.

      I left my little room and found myself in a larger tent.

      "Sister, you are awake," a young man joked as I ended the room.

      He spoke in a language different from any I was taught but I could understand him nonetheless.

      "Are we going hunting or not, brother," I say with words that are not my own.

      "First I would like you to meet someone."

      "It is a pleasure to meet you, Alyona, Kelaya of Garren," another young man says bowing to me.

      He looks familiar and yet I have never seen him before.

      "I am Ophir, Emperor of Sylvain," he continues.

      Emperor of Sylvain, how can that be?

      "We are honored to have you here." I say and although I try I do not bow, "Would you like to join us on our hunt?"

      A smile spreads across his face as he nods.

      We all leave the larger tent to the outside. The sun blinds me and when I open my eyes again I am back in my palace room.